Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2012 14:00

A very bad wifi issue with my dell xps 14z

I brought one dell xps 14z laptop few days before. Getting very poor signal and internet speed is very low also sometimes it is getting disconnected.

I checked all the articles in dell forum rearding this issue and tried every possible option but same issue persist.

Please someone help me, i have some critical tasks pending bcz of this issue.

Also let me know how to contact dell tech support guys. Plz somebody help me.

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

November 10th, 2012 05:00

[quote user="Deepsas"]

27 Posts

November 10th, 2012 05:00

Now again the same issue and also my batter is draining very fast and also my sound is coming like broken particles.

1 Message

November 14th, 2012 12:00

My Dell 14z XPS also has internet connectivity problems when on my home WiFi.  The problem occurs when the laptop lid is closed.  If the lid stays open, the WiFi connection is really. 

I am going to try disabling the power management option as was proposed. 

Did you find a fix for your issues?

SPSearch

8 Posts

March 21st, 2013 18:00

double post due to 14z I'm typing on disconnection from the internet. nice

8 Posts

March 21st, 2013 18:00

Done with Dell. This XPS 14Z internet connection issue is the last straw. Support (foriegn) does not want to do anything but pass me off to the next department. Im an IT manager and have bought over six figures in Dell equipment over the past twenty years. Recommended them to fellow IT peers, friends and family. Support and product over the past couple years has taken a nose dive. Nice knowing you Dell. Goodbye.

September 12th, 2013 23:00

I too struggled with this problem. Nobody including Dell Support were of help. I researched the net and finally found an answer. The problem is not really a problem but something arising out of a technological advancement. The XPS 14 is equipped with a WLan adapter from Intel. In this adapter, Intel has built in a power saving feature which, under default settings, puts the adapter to sleep after a specified period of internet inactivity. A supposed power saving and battery life enhancing feature, it has put users to a lot of trouble. The sleeping adapter doesn't wake up under the default settings. So the solution is to go into all the settings and change them from power saving to power guzzling. And presto, you will not face the problem again.

Why did Intel put users to such a problem. The root cause is a incompatibility between the old modem/ router and the new Intel adapter. In later versions of modem/ router, there is some feature which would automatically wake up the sleeping adapter.

I am not a techie and therefore tried to explain it in simplistic terms what  I could understand of the problem. The most surprising thing is that the Dell technical support is not aware of the cause of the problem nor does it deliver the solution to the problem.

January 20th, 2014 10:00

how did this turned out for you guys? i have a brand new inspiron 15 7000 series with exactly the same problem.

kind regards

2 Posts

August 7th, 2014 10:00

So I am also having this issue with a Dell XPS 14. I have done all sorts of things to try and get it to work. It kind of works. But the connection and goes off pretty frequently. This machine is brand new .. and i find it super frustrating. I bought it on amazon and had it shipped to me in Colombia and now i am here with a machine that is not working and bought in the US. 

Any advice woud be greatly appreciated .. I need this thing to work.

thanks 

Gian 

1 Message

September 2nd, 2014 19:00

I bought the same laptop two years age, and have not moved it to outside of my house because of the poorest wifi signal it has had, whenever I'm going for a conference I always borrow my wife's laptop which of course is not Dell. I tried different ways to fix it, but none of them worked. :emotion-6:

2 Posts

November 10th, 2015 06:00

I've just resolved this problem, and for reference here is what I found out. This is an extremely widespread problem with this model of laptop, and various things have been reported to help. However none of them are a definite fix. Here are some of the suggestions:

• Updating drivers (didn't work for me)
  • Updating laptop BIOS (didn't work for me)
  • Turning off bluetooth (no noticeable difference, and I use bluetooth regularly)
  • Turning off power-saving features for the wireless card (didn't work for me)
  • Adjust wifi settings to change wifi channel or force wireless G, wireless N etc (didn't work for me)
  • Replacing the wireless card with an identical part (I didn't try this)
  • Replacing the wireless card with a different model (this did work for me, see below)
  • Getting Dell support to replace the whole screen assembly, which includes the wireless antennas. Apparently the more recent replacement screen assemblies are a new design which improves wifi reception (I didn't try this)

What worked for me:
I changed to a completely different wireless card. I removed the Intel 6235, and replaced it with an Atheros AR5B22 / DW1901 (which I bought for just a few quid on eBay). In most situations around my flat, my actual wireless throughput has increased from an unreliable ~10Mbps to a reliable ~50Mbps.

Hope this helps.

November 13th, 2015 22:00

I even tried the hardware change. Nothing worked. But then I got an invite from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10. I upgraded and since the upgrade the problem has vanished. So friends it was basically a software issue. The new operating system has a bundled driver which works flawlessly. Hope it works for you, too.

No Events found!