We have just released a new version of SmartByte that should address all of these issues. You can find the current version on our website, here - http://support.rivetnetworks.com/. Simply download the package, run it, and follow the prompts to update to the latest version. If there is an updated interface available, the installer will forward you to the Windows Store to install the new interface.
If you have any other issues with SmartByte, we encourage you to tell us about it by clicking here to contact us directly!
-- Anthony with Rivet Networks
Great! I'm glad to hear it!
If anyone updates to the latest version of SmartByte and it does not resolve the problem, we have confirmed that there is a specific, older Intel Wi-Fi driver that is somewhat buggy. Updating the Intel Wi-Fi driver from here - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vg6m5 - will resolve the issue if updating SmartByte does not.
-- Anthony with Rivet Networks
I am having the issues with it stopping outlook from sending emails as well. What is the purpose of Smartbyte, when i delete it everything i need works fine, so why reinstall it?
Exactly the same as SpeeDyLOCO I was having problems with my brand new Dell Inspiron 7580 and a brand new installation of Outlook (2016? - the latest version anyway). Whilst it would send emails from my POP3 accounts with BTInternet.com it wouldn't send any from Gmail or Yahoo. The Outlook test messages worked okay so it wasn't the password (although I switched off 2 factor authentication just in case although I knew it wasn't that as the same accounts with exactly the same settings worked fine still on my old Samsung laptop with the same version of Outlook). The messages from Gmail and Yahoo would just hang in the Outbox forever. Dell support were as much use as a chocolate teapot and just referred me to PC World whom I'd bought the thing from. PC World support were okay at first as I'd taken out the £8 per month support plan to help out the sales guy but cancelled it three days later. They didn't want to know after that and just told me to do a factory re-set. Muppets! I'd already done a LOT of searching the Internet for answers all to no avail, so then I got on to Microsoft Office support. One of their tech guys took remote control of my Dell and was mystified. He spent about 90 minutes and couldn't work it out. He upgraded my case to 'level 2' support and said they'd call me 'on Wednesday'. They didn't. A call did come the following Wednesday but only rang 5 times and they hung up before I could pick up. Aaaargh! And you cannot contact MS level 2 support yourself in any way. I tried back with the online chat at level 1 and as soon as they found out that it was escalated to level 2 already they didn't want to know. Promised that they'd call me back later the same day. Nothing. So after another 3 weeks or so, I got back onto another level 1 tech by online chat. He again took remote control and I didn't tell him it was already with level 2, I wanted him to have a try at least. And, you know what... he managed, after about an hour, to isolate it. He went through all the previous stuff like a new Outlook profile and, this time a new Windows profile. Neither worked but then he did a clean boot with only MS services running and EUREKA! the emails started sending. Which just left me to keep turning on the services that had been set not to load one by one until I found the offender. Actually I turned on half at a time and got there fairly quickly. And of course, the offender was SmartByte. I tried to update it... the Dell support site where you update your drivers had a new version of SmartByte with a date of just a few days ago on it, but on installing it, it was actually just the same version anyway. Another expletive from my mouth. Anyway, I uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller Pro (although that's probably not necessary as it didn't find anything left over) but there was still SmartByte left in the start menu alphabetical list which I could right click on and get an uninstall button. I guess from the MS app store rather than a whole program. And then there were a couple of things in Location: C:\ProgramData\Dell\ that I searched for 'smartbyte' and deleted. And now everything works fine. I'm not sure if SmartByte will try to come back and I'm not interested in trying to see if all the other Dell software is up to date and compatible with it. I've never had a computer with SmartByte before and I've never missed it. Don't think I will now.
thank you for this!!! My out of the box brand new Dell was just..failing miserably in installing WoW. I have pretty high end internet, and couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was so awful to download, and was honestly considering returning it as completely useless. Removing this awful bit of software that I didn't ask for, enable, or realize was running completely resolved the issue, and I'm back to being able to actually use my internet connection effectively.