kiwiwings
1 Copper

Re: Beware of SmartByte

I have just removed smartbyte after doing a speed test on my inspiron 15 7000 and seeing terrible results. My wifi download speed improved from 5MB to 25 MB and my ethernet download speed improved from 5MB to 178MB

These are not typos. What is Dell thinking???

EvilDeadGuy
1 Nickel

Thanks for posting this it was a big help 🙂

0 Kudos
Mata_Las
1 Copper

Me too! It happened to me in the past couple of days. But after trying to disabling it first from Task Manager and went to speedtest, everything came back from 3-4Mbps to 20Mbps+. I immediately uninstalled it from control panel and hope it never goes back!. No idea on how it got installed in my laptop.  

0 Kudos
Sparkee100
1 Copper

OMG you are a life savior.  I was getting 5mbps then uninstalled this program and I got a wooping 200 mbps.  The difference...

0 Kudos
djf-mi
1 Copper

You are a technical GOD !!!!

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

I tried everything. I changed the Ethernet cable.  I changed the port on the cable modem.  I got a new Xfinity cable modem.  I bought a new Ethernet card.  Nothing worked.

I found your post about SmartByte.  I disabled SmartByte.  My speed test results went from 10 mbps (yes, 10 !!!) to 300 mbps.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

This Bud is for you.

0 Kudos
sparksdls
1 Nickel

Bought a new Dell desktop 3 days ago after seeing my download speed at 5Mbps, I was able to debug and also find SmartByte as the culprit. Disabled it and Rivet Dynamic Bandwidth Management in Services and my speed went to 175Mbps. Spent a lot of time on this - wish I had seen this thread first (I found it by Googling SmartByte).

0 Kudos
Liam4116
1 Copper

I kept running into your post unintentionally - searching for information about SmartByte and what it is and inadvertently settled my issue with slicing my Internet speed down the middle. Awesome employment! Much obliged!
0 Kudos
rottie93
1 Nickel

So how do you guys uninstall? I searched for "SmartByte" in Start and hit Uninstall. There is also a SmartByte Drivers and Services in Control Panel, I assume I should remove that one too?

0 Kudos
LawStudent21
1 Copper

Just bought a Dell Inspiron Two-In-One and noticed it was SO slow compared to my HP laptop (which is dying -- hence the need for a new laptop). I am currently uninstalling the Drivers component as well. Will give you an update.

0 Kudos
Kurtisrc
1 Copper

I had this issue before, SmartByte was really killing my speed. 

The way I stopped this is by disabling it in System Configuration (Windows Key + R, MSCONFIG)

Click on Services tab and find "SmartByte  Network Services"  and untick it. 

Since then I have had not had a issue. 

Tags (1)