I just realized my WiFi device itself was selecting 2.4G when 5G was available. By telling the device to prefer 5G, my download speed went from 50M/s to 300/Ms roughly. https://anderson.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014906108-Change-Preferred-WiFi-Band-for-Windows-C...
I have a Dell G7, and I've had browser problems for the last three days (on multiple browsers)--some websites not loading fully; sites like Netflix and Facebook telling me my login credentials were incorrect (when they weren't); receiving messages that websites could not be found; receiving ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT errors; etc. After some searching, I finally determined that the problem was with the Killer Control Center and Driver Suite. I managed to uninstall the software and only install the updated drivers. This fixed the browser issues, but then I realized that my wireless download speeds had slowed to a crawl. I found this thread and then disabled SmartBytes--my download speed shot up from 1.45 Mbps to 323 Mbps. If Killer software is going to continue to cause these problems, then Dell needs to explicitly present the issues and recommended fixes in SupportAssist. Folks shouldn't have to dig around the internet to find solutions.
Jacked my Outlook and crippled my business!!!! **bleep**... This took me over a month, 3 calls to my Web Hosting provider for hours on the phone to India and trying to debug to find this issue.. My emails were getting hung in Outlook. What really threw me off was small emails and test messages were getting out OK. I even jacked my office key uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook. Other internet traffic was fine. Port testing and pinging, etc. all fine. In the interim, before finding the issue, I had been forwarding emails from my PC to phone and then to customers. Delaying Purchase Orders, Invoicing and all correspondence. And how embarrassing when meeting a new client, instead of getting a fancy signature from Outlook, they got, "Get Outlook for Android," as my signature. I was just about ready to trash my Web Hosting provider and move my MX records to Google. I stumbled upon doing a speed test from Speak Easy and showing no outbound speed and port blocked message and then immediately went on the hunt for the service that was jacking my outgoing ports. Long story short, like others have found, Killing the SmartByte service allowed my Outlook to start sending emails again. I have lost life and blood pressure on this. With 2 G7 laptops for my engineering business, this is so not cool. I will never, ever, ever, EVER go near a Killer product, EVER. DELL - Remove these guys from your portfolio. The fact that this issue exists and looks as though it has existed is really bad for you guys. This is a business killer. I have ~20 hours of my life that I'll never get back and inconvenienced beyond belief. NOT COOL AT ALL..... Quarter and Draw these developers who did this, remove them from the record books of anything silicon valley - send them back to the remote village of **bleep** spawn of which **bleep** they came from. Never let this happen to your brand name again. You almost turned me off Dell with this. G7, with it's issues is still a good machine, but REALLY Killer!!! AHHHH!!!
Uninstalled SmartByte on my Dell 7000. It was causing internet dropouts whenever I turned on VPN (NordVPN to be specific). In addition some video content sites such as Udemy was extremely slow. It took me several hours to find out SmartByte was causing the issue. This is totally unacceptable. Dell, please not use SmartByte.