Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

June 14th, 2010 05:00

Broadcom 440x Problem/ Connecting to the internet/ Windows 7/ Inspiron 6400

Hi,

I have a problem with connecting to the internet. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, currently out of warranty. My OS is Windows 7 and my battery is dead. I installed windows 7 a couple of months ago and when I connected to my internet cable connection or wireless one , everything worked just fine. But no, I can connect only to the wireless connection. If I plug the cable, nothing happenes on the taskbar, no sign of messages like"cable unplugged/plugged". My network board is a Broadcom 440x Controller. Additionaly, there is no blinking LED where the cable gets in. I tried the same cable in my friends laptop, and in his, the connection works. I have the latest driver and I did not change any properties.

What should I do? Is it a compatibility problem with Win7, or is the dead battery causing this or is the network board just all of a sudden dead?

10x,

Vlad Munteanu

• 

17K Posts

June 14th, 2010 11:00

vlad,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You will need to install the Windows 7 driver for the network card into the system. Windows 7 found the wireless and installed a driver for it. If you cannot find a Windows 7 driver you can maybe download and install the Vista drivers if available to see if it will work.

No Events found!