Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2010 06:00

Can not get a wireless connection

I have a Inspiron 1525 that i bought running Vista. I have a desktop and the internet is working on it after i hooked up the router. But I can not get a wireless connection on the lap top. The internet works on it if I plug in the interent to it. My daughters lap top picks up the internet just fine. So I think it might be something that I have done. I have gone through the wizard a dozen times trying to set it up but nothing works!!!! Can someone help me?

6 Posts

January 19th, 2010 08:00

I have the same issue on the same kind of laptop.  I have searched and found no solutions...:emotion-12:

11 Posts

January 19th, 2010 08:00

That sucks!!! I am hoping someone can help.

626 Posts

January 19th, 2010 09:00

Are you able to see the SSID of your wireless network when you open the "Connect to network" wizard?  Does your wireless router have a passphrase setup in it?  Are you typing it in correctly?  I think it's case sensitive.

6 Posts

tried to open network and sharing. - Page fails to load.  Connect to network shows nothing.,  This all seemed to happen and a windows update.  Uninstalled all updated and still nothing.  Running Norton anitvirus.  Not sure if it is the problem.  Disabled the firewall, still nothing.  Network Icon is missing.

4.6K Posts

To both of you:  You can try whatever you like to connect to the internet wirelessly, but you'll get nowhere without first having the appropriate drivers installed :emotion-55:

Have you installed the network drivers and the wireless drivers for whatever mini card is in your respective laptops?

You can get the latest drivers off the Inspiron 1525 'Drivers & Downloads' page.

You'll need to identify your specific wireless mini card in Device Manager/Network Adapters first however, to make sure you download the correct drivers for it.

And be sure to select the appropriate OS version first - i.e. 32bit/64bit.

Finally - a word of warning:  DON'T use the Dell Download Manager!!  It's known to cause all manner of problems.

Use the browser option instead :emotion-5:

6 Posts

It is there.  Also network and wireless drivers are current.

626 Posts

Okay Cyn617, before you follow TheRealFireblade's instruction, I want you to verify whether or not the wireless adapter is still in the system.  Go to "Start" and click "Run", then type "devmgmt.msc" and press ENTER.  The Device Manager should open up.  Go down to "Network adapters" and look to see if there is a wireless adapter listed there. 

Let me know what you find.

626 Posts

January 19th, 2010 10:00

tried to open network and sharing. - Page fails to load.

The Network and Sharing Center fails to load?  Can you take a screenshot of that and post it here so that I can see what you mean?  To do that, do the following:

1. Open the Network and Sharing Center
  2. Press ALT and Print Screen at the same time on your keyboard
  3. Find Microsoft Paint and open it
  4. Press CTRL and v at the same time on your keyboard to paste the screenshot into Paint
  5. Save the file as a JPG and remember the name and location of the file
  6. If you're using a different system to post messages to this forum, then use a USB key to copy the JPG file over to the system that you're using to access the internet
  7. In here, respond to my post and find the Insert Media button.  Then browse to where JPG file is on your USB key and select it.  You should then see it in here.

6 Posts

January 19th, 2010 10:00

6 Posts

January 19th, 2010 11:00

I have tried a system restore.  still the same.  I only uninstalled the updates that occured just before this happened.  I am beginning to think that I need to just reinstall windows completely.  The deeper I dig the worse it is.   wlancfg.dll and wcnnetsh.dll fail to load.... 

626 Posts

Wow, that's ugly.  Your issue is different from jennhunt's issue.  I've seen some posts on various forums about this.  Did you uninstall some components in Windows recently?  Would you want to try a Windows restore?

Or you can take a look at this forum:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/110471-page-failed-load-network-sharing-center.html

11 Posts

When i go to device manager, under other devices it has a yellow "!" and says network controllers, when i click on that it says,,,,The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver. so i tried that and it says....search for updated driver software online....then it will say driver not found. I have tried to down load drivers from the dell page but maybe I am downloading the wrong one.

626 Posts

When i go to device manager, under other devices it has a yellow "!" and says network controllers, when i click on that it says,,,,The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver. so i tried that and it says....search for updated driver software online....then it will say driver not found. I have tried to down load drivers from the dell page but maybe I am downloading the wrong one.

Yeah, we need to identify your specific wireless adapter.  Open Device Manager, and view the properties of your wireless adapter that doesn't have drivers installed, can you give me the Hardware IDs from the details tab for the ethernet device.  Use the top string.  See the image:

626 Posts

I have tried a system restore.  still the same.  I only uninstalled the updates that occured just before this happened.  I am beginning to think that I need to just reinstall windows completely.  The deeper I dig the worse it is.   wlancfg.dll and wcnnetsh.dll fail to load.... 

Yeah, that's what I'd do too.  As long as you're reasonably comfortable with it...  I have no reason to believe that this was caused by a hardware failure.  It seems like an OS level issue....

11 Posts

January 19th, 2010 12:00

thats a intel proset wireless

No Events found!