Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 22:00

Can't connect to WPA or WPA2 network after Windows 7 upgrade.

I have a Inspiron 1545 with a 1397 WLAN mini-card.  While upgrading to Windows 7 I uninstalled the wireless utility, but now I can't connect to WPA or WPA2 networks.  I can connect to other wireless networks so I have confidence that my card still works.  I  have confirmed that my drivers are up to date as well.  I tried to update my quickset, but it wouldn't work.  I don't know if that has to do with anything.  It is very important I get this connection working.  It is the network used at work and I have no power to change it from WPA2.  Any suggestions? Thank you

52 Posts

November 20th, 2009 22:00

It's a driver issue.  Before you try this, make sure you can connect some other way, preferably with a wired connection to a router.

Open up Device Manger, right click on your wireless network card, and choose "Uninstall".  Let it finish.  If it asks you if you want to delete files, choose "No".  Reboot the system.  Upon reboot, Windows is going to find that card again.  If you are connected (and you should be) - it will try to find updated drivers for your card.  If it doesn't, let it install the ones you already have.

If that doesn't work, make sure that Windows doesn't think another program should be handling wireless connections.  Go to Control Panel, Network Connections, and double click on your wireless connection.  If Windows can handle it then it will give you the properties of the connection.  If something else is set to control the connection, you will get a message telling you.

If you get that message about another program, tell us what it is and we will tell you how to disable it.

5 Posts

November 21st, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed the most recent driver that dell has to offer.  It seemed to install just fine, but I still can't connect to a WPA2 network.  I sees the network and it tries to connect, but after saying "connecting" for aminute or so it gives up. 

January 1st, 2010 13:00

I am having the same problem on my girlfriends Dell Inspiron 1545 after upgrade from vista to windows 7. Right after windows 7 was upgraded the wireless was working just fine, until i needed to restart after the upgrade was done, since then I cannot connect to her home network. I have tried every suggestion i could find in every forum topic out there. She needs this problem to be fixed ASAP. Please help.

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2010 14:00

I am having the same problem on my girlfriends Dell Inspiron 1545 after upgrade from vista to windows 7. ...

Hello,

I suggest that you connect the 1545 to the internet with a wired connection and either visit the Windows Upgrade page, or Dells download page for your model number. One or the other should suggest updated drivers to make your wireless work.

Don't forget that you also need to have the correct SSID and password set to be able to connect.

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2010 14:00

Hello,

Do you have the SSID and password set up correctly?

Is the failed connection from an old 'a' type wireless network? I assume that you have a 'g' type network card.

1 Message

February 1st, 2010 13:00

Same issue on XDS M1330.  Upgraded from Vista Ultimate 32 to Win 7 Ultimate 64.  Wireless works fine on everything but WPA2 networks.

I tried the NashBridges suggestion above as well as getting the latest drivers from Dell and Intel, card is an intel 4965AGN.  No luck.

If I try to select the network in the network list it tries to connect and eventually fails like others have reported.

If I try to manually create a connection for the network I get a different message.

1. go to Network and Sharing Center
  2. Set up a new connection or network
  3. select "manually connect to a wireless network"
  4. Enter in SSID of network for the network name, security type WPA2-enterprise, encryption type AES, check connect even if not broadcasting
  5. Click next and immediately see "An unexpected error occurred"

This happens so fast I don't think it is even looking for the network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Currently I can't get on the wireless network at any of our offices worldwide.

Regards,

John

February 10th, 2010 08:00

The problem was resolved, there was an antivirus running in the background that was not meant for Windows 7, so when I updated, some problems showed up. All I did was uninstall the anti-virus and it worked fine! Make sure all of your software is Windows 7 compatible! Hope this helps anyone else who might have this same problem!

3 Posts

February 10th, 2010 08:00

Any updates / resolutions? I have a similar issue where one Dell laptop on Win 7 32 bit works fine & connect to the WPA2 network but a similar laptop on Win 7 64 bit doen't connect properly. It gets on to the network, works for a few seconds & drops the connection.

A ping test strabgely shows a massive degradation in internet throughput on the win 7 64 bit machine when it does work, but it's almost always offline.

Hope someone has an answer!

3 Posts

February 10th, 2010 09:00

Magically, it's all fine now! Only change is - I restarted the machine. Now, both systems are giving me the same download speed! So, the Vista 64 bit driver seems to have done the trick!

3 Posts

February 10th, 2010 09:00

Good to know your issue was resolved! I've spent the whole of today trying various things -

All my software is Win 7 compatible & so are the drivers. I have Kaspersky anti virus on both Win 7 32 bit & 64 bit machines. I even tried removing the anti virus software but it didn't change anything.

Then, I thought I'd try with a Dell wireless driver made for Vista 64 bit. After installing that, the connection is stable but internet throughput is about 50% of what the 32 bit machine gives me. So, everything being the same, Win 32 gives me a download speed of 16MB/Sec while the 64 bit machine only goes upto 7 - 8MB/sec. Tested this using speedtest.net; I have a 20MB broadband link & I've done tests around the same time, alternating between the machines to rule out general bandwidth drops.

Unless there are other suggestions, I think I'll have to live with a slower download speed on the 64 bit machine! Well, at least it's not dropping the wireless connection anymore. If anyone has suggestions, I'd welcome them.

Thank you!

No Events found!