Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 1st, 2006 17:00

Can't find/connect to wireless network - problem with Intel PROSet Adapter switching?

My network connections seem to have gone pearshaped.  I can't find or connect to my wireless network.

I have an Inspiron 8600 (WinXP Pro SP2).  for connections, it has 1394 device (not in use...), Intel(R) Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PC adapter for wireless connection, and Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller for LAN.

I set up my Netgear DG834G modem router for both Ethernet connection and wireless, and have been connected OK via the Ethernet cable.  the wireless network also showed as available.

I then made two changes:  updated the Intel PROSet drivers in preparation for adding another computer wirelessly,  and installed InstallShield Update Manager (as suggested in forum) to try to solve problem where my Sonic RecordNow CD writing program couldn't connect to server for updates and suggested i check my connections.

The InstallShield made no difference, so I uninstalled it. 

Then I noticed that the Intel ProSet - which had listed two items under Device Manager, Adapter Switching and the 2100 PCI adapter - no longer showed the Adapter Switching.

So I did a System Restore to the point before these changes.  On reboot all seemed to work - and i still have the Ethernet connection.  BUT a popup appeared titled "IntelRoam" saying Adapter Switching Service Error.  Cannot continue".  I checked properties in the Device Manager:  Adapter Switching seems to be present, but shows an error icon.

The rest of my system seems to work.  But when I try to view available wireless networks, it says there are none (though the modem router is still broadcasting - its wireless light is solid green).

I tried Control Panel> Add/Remove to Repair the Intel PROSet device(s).  The wizard ran part-way then asked for an Intel disk, which i don't have.  So it didn't complete.

Does my wireless connection rely on the Intel device(s)?  I assume so.  And if so, what can I now do to re-enable wireless networking, find my network and connect wirelessly again?

Any help/advice would be very welcome....

br1anstorm

28K Posts

May 1st, 2006 18:00

I suggest that you disable the Intel utility and allow Windows to manage your wireless network.  It will be much simpler, and, in my experience, Windows zero configuration utility does an excellent job.

Steve

32 Posts

May 1st, 2006 19:00

Steve, I'm inclined to agree!

By way of update to my earlier rather despairing message, I ought to say that I decided to take a break, switched off the computer (it hung briefly on shutdown....) and gave it a rest.

I've just come back to it, fired it up, and to my relief/surprise, no nasty popups saying something is wrong, and when I searched for available networks, lo and behold, my network shows up and i can connect to it.  Weird or what.  Did the system generate false alarms earlier... or has it mysteriously healed itself?  D****d if i know - but for the moment, I'm just happy that it seems to be working normally (well, more or less - I still can't get updates for my Sonic CD program, but that always was a relatively minor concern, so I'll leave it alone for now).

Thanks for responding.  Just one small favour to ask:  can you just explain how to check that Windows Zero Config utility is set-up or enabled?  I only plan to look, but not touch!

br1anstorm

28K Posts

May 1st, 2006 19:00

Wireless Zero Configuration is enabled by default unless the Intel Utility is set to manage the wireless network.  You should be able to open the Intel Utility and find a place to tell it to let Windows manage the connection.

Steve

No Events found!