ThisDude777
1 Copper

Connected to network but no internet access.

Jump to solution

I have an XPS L502X and when I turned it on today I noticed I was connected to my network but I had no internet access. This is the first time this has happened to me. Please Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Re: Connected to network but no internet access.

Jump to solution

ThisDude777,

Are you using McAfee? If yes, try using system restore and go back a day or two before their last update. Something in their update caused connection problems.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

21 Replies
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Jump to solution

ThisDude777,

Are you using McAfee? If yes, try using system restore and go back a day or two before their last update. Something in their update caused connection problems.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

ThisDude777
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you so much Rick you helped a ton!

0 Kudos
Largon64
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem but when I attempt to use a restore point I get:  'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.  (0x80070570)', then it tells me I may attempt to use System Restore using a different restore point.  Upon clicking Restore I get:  'X There was an unexpected error:   Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)  Please close System Restore and try again.'    At the beginning of my system restore I am only given 2 possible restore points, and both of them lead to this error.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks, it really helped me too

0 Kudos
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Largon64,

To get back online, you'll need to remove McAfee. I'm not sure if you'll need to use the McAfee Removal Tool or not.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Justin2012
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Rick,

Trying what you suggested and its working now. Im using an X51. after the latest update from microsot (18/8/2012) I'm unable to get a connection. does this mean that once i restore before the updates i wont be able to update microsoft again?

Please advise.

regards,

Justin Edwards

0 Kudos
Largon64
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you, after deleting McAfee I am now able to get on the internet once more.  McAfee is the virus protection I purchased with my Dell (36 months, of which I have used 6), do we know if McAfee is working on a fix so I can re-install?

0 Kudos
LFCdell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Rick,

I have the same issue - wireless access - no internet access and I have McAfee. An additional issue is I have no idea how to 'use a system restore and go back a few days'.

My issue started yesterday evening - 29 hours ago.

Can you give me a few ideas on how to restore?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Athcup
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem too. But if I don't have internet access, can I get into McAfee to use the system restore? Any additional information on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos