Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2011 21:00

Connecting XPS 400 to Wireless "HotSpot"

My apologies if this question is a rehash of many prior answers, but kind of a newbie at network setup.  Especially wireless.

We have a Dell XPS 400 Desktop.  We currently have it connected DSL through Qwest.  We also have a Cisco Linksys E1000 router attached to the DSL M1000 modem.  We put the Linksys E1000 router in so we can watch netflix on our TV in the other room.

Recently we finally joined the 21st century and got cell phones through Verizon, we figured that if our cell service was through Verizon, might as well get internet service through them too as we have a limited amount of time we spend browsing.

We currently have one of those Verizon Mobile Hotspot's SCH-LC11 with "OK" 4G coverage.  We would like to be able to have our XPS 400 connect to the interweb through this device instead of through the DSL modem.  As far as I can tell the XPS 400 doesn't have wireless capabilities, but looking at getting either a internal card (recommendations?) or a USB Wireless adapter (recommendations?) .....or can I connect to the Verizon 4G network via the Linksys E1000 router without the DSL modem?

Thanks for any recommendations or help.

-Ryan

2.9K Posts

June 21st, 2011 09:00

Ryan,

Please read this PC Magazine review of the Verizon (Samsung SCH-LC11) Mobile Hotspot: www.pcmag.com/.../0,2817,2382920,00.asp

Note the remarks regarding movie and video downloads.

I have one client using this particular Mobile Hotspot since he cannot get either DSL or Cable modem service.

It is a "pure" wireless device. It runs about eight hours per charge, or you can leave it plugged into its cell phone type AC adapter.  No I/O ports on the unit at all.   It's built-in wireless router will support 5 simultaneous connections. The only way to connect a router to it would be to manually configure the Linksys router as a wireless repeater.  While I have done this with an older Linksys WRT-54G router reprogrammed using  ddt-wrt firmware,  I'm not sure the Linksys E1000 can even be configured in this manner.

I prefer USB wireless adapters.  I currently use two older Netgear WG111v2 adapters in my workroom.  Many of the new ones come with a USB extension cable that provides a base into which you can plug the adapter.

Hope this information helps.

No Events found!