Go to Solution

July 26th, 2014 14:00

Constantly need to "reset wireless network adapter"

Setup:

Ethernet from modem to router then:

Ethernet from router to Desktop

Ethernet from router to Ooma (Phone)

Ethernet from router to Sonos Controller

About 1/2 a year ago, I would typically lose my wireless internet connection once or twice every hour I was using my laptop.  I kept having to "Reset Wireless Adapter".  A housemate using a different Dell laptop (don't know which model) did not have any problems with dropouts.  I lived with the issue b/c I mainly use my desktop.  Now, my desktop is having the same problem. 

How do I fix this "problem"?  I work from home and I can't have my connection dropping out all of the time. 

TIA!

System Info:

Dell Desktop Studio XPS 8100 running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Network Card: Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet PCI express x1 (OEM)

Network Card: Qualcomm Atheros DW1525 (802.11N) WLAN PCIe (OEM)

-----------------------------------------

Dell Laptop XPS 1647 running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Network Card:  Intel Centrino WiMax 6250

Network Card: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN

Network Card: Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet PCI express x1

Network Card: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card (never use Bluetooth)

--------------------------------------

Router: Netgear WNDR 3700 (have had for 3 - 4 years)

Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB6141

ISP: Time Warner

November 4th, 2016 22:00

I agree this is the best answer.  Now for the path.   (RB=right mouse button)

(1) RB the Start icon

(2) Select "Network Connections"

(3) RB your Wi-Fi icon and then select "Properties"

(4) Select "Configure"

(5) Select "Power Management"  and un-check the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

1 Message

January 4th, 2017 04:00

I had the same problem with my Dell, but only when using it in my beach house. I noticed however that the wireless connection was lost only when the adapter was idle - for instance when I was reading a page on the internet. I then went into device manager/Wireless adapter/Power Management and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". That DID NOT solve the problem. I went back to device manager/wirelss adapter/advanced/Ad Hoc Channel 802.11 b/g and changed the channel default value from 1 to 2. The problem apparently went away! Wow))

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

January 5th, 2017 17:00

Channels 1 and 2 overlap in frequency. You could still have problems. Channels 6 or 11 are better selections to use here. Problem is usually interference from things like wireless phones which are on the same frequency.

1 Message

November 24th, 2017 20:00

I think this is the answer to my issue. Just wanted to thank you for the guidance.

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 19:00

what is the "n" mode?

April 30th, 2018 17:00

I have had the same problem for months, even sent back to Dell twice who couldn't fix it.  Considering getting a new network adaptor even though ive tried a USB one which still had the same problems. Something on my machine is telling  the wifi to switch off and I cant find what it is or why, there seems to be no pattern.

So I have now done the all of the following:

Didn't make any difference:

-I have tried connecting to different networks

-Several operating reinstalls (from you, me and DELL themselves)

- Used a different USB network adaptor card

-Replacement of brand new wireless adaptor, (same model) 

- Ran a fresh PC with no additional software (no antivirus, VPN any software changes etc)

-Changed power settings to not disable adaptor

-Completely uninstalled network device and reinstalled from Intel website both updating all drivers and running with an out of date previous driver.

Seems to be working currently with these changes:

-Reset driver to factory oldest version

- Set transmit power network setting to max performance, highest

- Set 11n channel Width for 2.4Ghz connections to 20mhz ONLY (Default is Auto)
- Set Preferred Band 2.4Ghz (Default is Auto)
-Set Roaming Aggressiveness 1. Lowest (Default is 3. Medium)
- Set Wireless mode 802.11b/g (Default is 802.11a/b/g)
-Set HT mode to VHT mode
- Login into router settings and disabled P2P settings and Enabled CAM.
- Opened “Wireless Settings” and disabled auto connecting to wireless hotspots.

So for now I will see if it finally has sorted the problem out it has worked for 48 hours currently

May 21st, 2018 20:00

How on earth is this SOLVED!?! This is an ongoing problem. How do Dell and Microsoft not have clear and easily followed advice here. I've spent lots at Dell. But now I'm just dissatisfied.

Having to constantly restart or even manually restart the network adapter is ridiculous. Consistent internet is a modern expectation. And how is it being met? By consistently bad advice and reliance on a peer forum. I've paid for this advice before. Why should I again? This continues to be an issue. How often must I reset a modem, reinstall a driver, reset an adapter. This is quality customer service?

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 10:00

I am not tech savy and have no idea how to do that

1 Message

October 21st, 2019 07:00

#1 helped solve my drop-offs problem. Thanks!

Just to add-on, once you switched from "auto" to "a/b/g" and verified that the "drop-offs" stopped, you could then switch it back to "auto" again to auto toggle between a/b/g and n/ac, for me at least. Bummer if you'd have to settle with a/b/g for the rest of your laptop's life cycle, that's a big drop-off in terms of maximum transmission unit.

12 Posts

November 1st, 2019 11:00

Had this problem with a Dell Vostro 3700 and replaced the WiFi card with an Intel wifi card 6300 833AN-HMW.  It connected instantly and has not dropped WiFi in over 2 hours. 

Until I received the new Intel card I used a USB 802.11n plugin WiFi that is about an inch long (Ebay: 802.11 Dongle RTL8188) that did not drop the WiFi for over a week. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

November 18th, 2019 01:00

Spent two months trying all suggestions on various forums.

Bought a $20 USB Wifi adapter and shut down the internal one. No issues since then. Hence it must be a hardware issue as I have completely updated and reset and reconfigured the internal adapter over many many weeks.

1 Message

May 18th, 2020 07:00

Thank you for taking the time to post these solutions. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise. 

No Events found!