Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TB

October 19th, 2012 22:00

DNS Server Not Responding

My web connection stops frequently and the diagnosis always gives me the "DNS server not responding" message.  I turned the modem and router on and off and nothing happens.  I went to the control panel and look at the adapter settings and sometimes the ipv 6 is on and sometimes off.  The ipv 4 is always on but the settngs of the "Obtain IP and the obtain DNS addresses automatically" appear to change by themselves.  As instructed by my cable company, I would also connect the modem directly to my XPS 15 and then switch it back to the router.  After playing around with these steps, I can make it work again.

After several incidents I thought it might be a virus so I ran the McAfee full scan.  It did not detect anything.

I am not technically savvy so can someone help me out.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 20th, 2012 01:00

Hi Tom Blanco,

I suggest that you update the drivers for the Ethernet controller if you are using a wired connection, the drivers for the wireless card if you are using a wireless connection to the router by visiting the following link and by entering the Service Tag and click on “Submit” on the following link:
http://dell.to/RVbyD3

Download the drivers that applies to Realtek RTL8111F for the wired connection and Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 for the wireless card. Please check if you experience the issue again after updating the drivers. You set the DNS address to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) in the router. Please refer the router setup documentation for configuring the router.

Please reply to this message if you need further assistance.

21 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 22:00

I think my drivers are up to date.  Can't tell if I accidentally corrected the problem but the problem has not surfaced since I wrote my message.  

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!