Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2011 13:00

DW WLAN Card Authentication problem

Hi folks

My Vostro Notebook 3700 was restored to a previous state by our IT chap and now I can't connect to any wireless network

I've tried connecting to both open and password protected networks (all of which the router is functioning fine with other computers) and in every case, in the DW WLAN Card Utility, in the Link Status tab I am shown to be connected, with the connection status "Authenticated" but the Gateway IP address, Client IP address are shown as "Not available"

When I use the Diagnostics tab and run "Connection diagnostics", I get "failed" when it gets to Authentication.

Any assistance in helping me to solve this problem would be most gratefully received

Many thanks in advance

Dave

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2011 13:00

Dave,

ejn63 is very good at this, but if you want to check for yourself...

Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA) Diagnostics and Error Codes For Dell Computers

Start making copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. Like I state, this should be a normal practice. If the hard drive failed tomorrow, you would have the files and folders needed.

Yes, the hard drive is under warranty. Contact Dell Tech Support. Depending on the model, if they're hard to get to, then they send out a technician. If they can be replaced easy, then you'll have to install and send the old hard drive back. Looks like they'll probably have you install it, unless there is some special contract. INSTRUCTIONS HERE.

The hard drive they send you will install the system automatically. I replaced one on my daughters computer and Dell sent a technician out for My Dell XPX L501x. I didn't lose anything as it was found in time.

Keep us posted. If you need help with installing the programs that do not install, using Internet Explorer, go to My Dell Downloads :: Login use the same email address and password you use here, then click on add system. The paid media that does not install will be available for download there.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2011 15:00

Dave,

Your IT Person should have solved this issue.

If using Vista/Windows 7 try running Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here. Knowing the details and wireless adapter installed may help with the issue.

Rick

September 16th, 2011 16:00

Sorry I should've included more info in my post.

The Dell Vostro is running Windows XP Professional 2002, Service Pack 3.

The DW WLAN Card Utility (version 2) tells me that both software and driver are 5.60.48.35, 21/01/2010

and the wireless card is DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card Rev 2.11

If there's any other info that would be useful, I will gladly post it but unfortunately I can't copy and paste details as I can't get online and so I'm having to use my wife's Mac to post this query

With my utmost thanks for taking the trouble to get back to me

Kind Regards

Dave

September 16th, 2011 16:00

In respect of our IT chap, he resolved another issue with the restore to a former state, but sadly we don't have a wireless network at the warehouse (it's such a huge building and in the current climate, we can't get the company to fork out for wireless out in the sticks) and so it wasn't until I arrived home that I discovered the problem.

What's more the IT bloke only appears at the warehouse once in a blue moon and so unless I can resolve this issue myself, I will end up having to send the laptop up to him at head office and risk losing it for a couple of weeks, while I wait for him to get it sorted and for it to be returned to me :-( obviously our firm is the absolute model of an efficient operation :-)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2011 20:00

Dave,

Let's try the easiest thing to try first.

Run WinSock XP Fix then restart your computer and see if it fixes it.

Places to look to see if the Connection is enabled

Rick

September 17th, 2011 04:00

Thanks a million for your helpful suggestions Rick.

In the meantime, being such an impatient bugger (and desperate to get some work done), I decided to try using the restore utility to use the option to go back to the prior state before doing a restore, on the assumption that I could at least use the internet.

However having started this last night, I'm wondering how long it should take as my laptop has had a blank screen with a flashing cursor top left for about 12 hours and I'm not sure whether it's still doing it's thing, or whether I have compounded my troubles

With my apologies for being such a pest and my utmost thanks for any assistance

Kind Regards

Dave

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2011 08:00

Dave,

That doesn't sound good. Sounds like it's not doing anything. First take out the disk and then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Power on the computer. What happens. If you get a screen that is Black with lettering, choose last good known configuration.

If that worked, then make sure you have copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice.

After you have what you need, put in the operating system disk and restart your computer.

You should see, press any key to boot from CD.

Press any key to boot from CD.

Choose install.

Do the agreement.

Now choose repair. Leave the operating system disk in until you see the Welcome Screen. Takes about 35 minutes. You'll have to get all the Windows updates again. You might have to connect the computer with the ethernet cable if you have an earlier version of XP because if you use WPA Security, it was not built in to XP until SP1 or later.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2011 09:00

Dave,

Just saw you post in the other board. ejn63 gives good advice. Looks like you'll need anothe hard drive. If you can start the computer, you may want to get all the files and folders copied that you cannot afford to lose.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Please make sure to install the drivers in order. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

September 17th, 2011 13:00

Thanks a million Rick

Very much appreciate you taking the trouble to respond to my bothersome query, it's very kind of you.

If it's not too much to ask, can you confirm if that diagnostic error code "error code 2000 - 0142, self-test unsuccessful, status 49" means the hard drive is knackered with complete certainty? (ie. that there's no possibility that it's a software related glitch)

Also when I look up the warranty status for the laptop on the Dell site using the service tag no. it states that there are 743 days left of "Next Day Business" (until 28/09/2013) and underneath, in the next line it says I have 12 days left of something called "CAR" (until 28/09/2011). Can you advise what these two lines mean, or if less hassle, can you point me to where I might find this info?

I guess ultimately I'm wondering if a hard drive failure is covered under the warranty and I'm also fretting that I might only have 12 days left to get it sorted.

Again can't thank you enough for being so helpful and taking the time to offer the benefit of your help

Kind Regards

Dave

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 17th, 2011 14:00

Dave,

You have any questions, feel free to ask.

Take care,

Rick

September 17th, 2011 14:00

Thanks a million for all your help

No Events found!