Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2006 12:00

Dell 1450 Wireless Adapter Buyers Beware

Hi All,

I found out the hard way that the drivers for the Dell 1450 USB Wireless adapter are incompatible with eTrust AntiVirus v7.1. If the NIC drivers are preinstalled, after you reboot from installing eTrust, and you logon, you won't get a desktop.

Same thing happens going the other way. Starting with a clean Windows install, adding eTrust first, then drivers & other software one by one, at the point where you install the 1450 NIC drivers and reboot, on logon, you will not get a desktop.

In both cases, you can bring up task mangler and manually run Windows Exploder to get to the desktop. Not something you want to teach the company's CEO how to do.

Note that this is with an Optiplex 745 (a brand-new model as of this writing), and may not apply to other Dell desktops, laptops, or servers.

There are older drivers on the Dell support downloads site, but nothing newer, as of this writing.

October 9th, 2006 13:00

The install utility ran anyway, but I cancelled it.

Then when I plugged in the adapter, it didn't prompt me to look for the drivers,
it seemingly loaded a driver that Windows XP already had.

So far, its working fine, but its hard to type with my fingers crossed....

Thanks, NemisisDB!

7.9K Posts

they're basically just rebranded broadcom drivers as far as I know (assuming the USB adapter is anything like the other dell wireless cards).

there's a new package available for the laptop wireless cards -- you might try extracting the drivers folder from that package and seeing if you can update it.

i wouldn't use the dell/broadcom software utility if you're having problems -- remove the utility, install the drivers manually, and let windows manage

7.9K Posts

nice ... if you ever do need the drivers directly you can pull them out of the install file with a program like 7-zip (or winrar, or probably even winzip).
No Events found!