Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 21st, 2016 10:00

Dell Inspiron 13 7347 Wi-fi Card upgrade

Hi, everybody. I want upgrade wlan card in my laptop Inspiron 7347. I look for dual band m2 adapter. 

I try this card 

Intel Wireless-N 7265 Plus Bluetooth 7265NGW BN Stone
Peak 2
PCIe (NGFF) bgn 2x2:2 2.1,2.1+EDR,3.0,
3.0+HS,4.0(BLE)
BT 4.0
NGFF (M.2 2230)

but there is error 10 in device manager. I try different drivers from intel and dell site, but it didn't solve this problem

Which dual band card from Intel is good for this model.

Maybe this one:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 Plus Bluetooth 7265D2W AN Stone
Peak 2
PCIe (NGFF) abgn 2x2:2 2.1,2.1+EDR,3.0,
3.0+HS,4.0(BLE)
BT 4.0
NGFF (M.2 1216)

What differents in m2 connector type 2230 and 1216 ?

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2016 16:00

Hi niiln,

The m.2 types have to do with the form factor of the card M.2 (ngff) and also relate to the size, one being 12 x 16 mm (for 1216) and the other being 22 x 30 mm (for 2230). Here is a link from Intel detailing this: http://dell.to/2dlbSsH a side note, these numbers can also reference speed on an SSD drive but that is a different topic (and not needed for this). 

Anyway, when you took out the original card that was in the system and put the new one in were they roughly the same size and factor? The other question I have is when you bought the card, did you buy it from Dell or buy one specific to Dell (not just the 7265 model, but one specifically from/for a Dell system)? Unfortunately I have seen sometimes that Dell and other computer manufacturers (Lenovo/HP etc.) will call for specific versions of a card to make it work. If you do a search for this you will find threads discussing this on Intel and many other computer sites/forums.

Some troubleshooting to try would be to see if the card is showing up in the BIOS, and if it is you could try a non-supported OS (Linux etc.) to see if it works, and if it does then it might be a driver/software/system config issue). Depending if it did show in the BIOS (and maybe worked in a non-Windows OS) you could even try looking at a clean install of Windows (if fully removing the old software/drivers did not work), but again this is not guaranteed to fix it (if for some reason the card is being locked out, it will just not work).

If everything has been exhausted and the card still doesn't work, I would recommend buying a 7265 card specific to Dell sometimes you can even find cards pulled from 7347s (either by contacting Dell or a site selling one specific to/for Dell systems). Also the Error 10 you're seeing indicates that the card was not allowed to start (so this definitely goes back to driver or software related issue, a non-Dell branded Intel card, or even just a defective card).  

I hope this helps, and while this is somewhat out of scope I thought it might help to understand what could be occurring with the card. 

Best regards,

Brad

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 01:00

Thanks for help. Sorry for my english.

I try use this card on Remix OS on this laptop (latest bios) and it work normal. So card is OK. I try install it on  new clearly system Windows 10 x 64 with latest intel drivers and Dell drivers, and there is error 10. I bought this card on standart shop, not dell store. 

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 09:00

Hi Niiln,

Being that it works on Remix OS, I have a feeling this is probably due to the Intel card not being specific to Dell and it is being locked out in the OS by the system. In order to get an Intel card to work it would need to be purchased from Dell or from a vendor that lists the card for/from a Dell system (preferably one for/from a 7347 if possible). If you do a search online you will see cards listed specifically for Dell that various online sites sell, and you will also see this for other manufacturers (same performance but specific card for Lenovo or HP system etc). I have seen a few work for multiple, but I can't guarantee them working vs using one specific to Dell. Also since we know the system is looking for specific card, did you notice if the screw slots and card fit the same as the old one you replaced? This was the only other thing I could think of other than Intel and OEMs wanting a card to match within a specific spec to their systems, but from the sounds of it the card is the correct one just not for Dell. 

On a side note, the card you have will perform the same as the Dell matched one but it will not work in Windows. The only other option would be to use a USB WiFi adapter instead for Windows, but unfortunately I am not aware of any other fixes to get the current card you have to work. I mean other than buying the card again for a 7347 or using a non-Windows OS. Sorry that I do not have more options on this, but I hope this helps. 

Best regards,

Brad 

No Events found!