Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 6th, 2008 14:00

Dell Latitude D600 cannot connect to internet, but has a strong wireless signal

My Dell Latitude D600 recently stopped accessing the internet, even though I have a strong wireless signal and connection.  I have had the laptop for 3 months now with no problems up to this point.  I have followed some of the troubleshooting suggestions from other posts, but to no avail.  My ipconfig looks like it should be right, and I can post that upon request.  The Intel Pro/wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter status says it is working properly, and the drivers are up to date.  Any new thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance-

Ryan

28K Posts

August 6th, 2008 18:00

Please post the ipconfig command, as it may tell us what is going on.  Also, try booting to Safe Mode with Network Support and see if  you can connect to the internet.  Let us know the results of that troubleshooting step.

Steve

5 Posts

August 6th, 2008 19:00

I also tried to access through Safe Mode but it did not work.  Under Network Connections, there were no options.

5 Posts

Yes, I booted in Safe Mode with Networking, my wireless network status is connected, but still no web access

5 Posts

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Con
troller #2
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-39-3C-DA

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mi
ni PCI Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-59-67-02
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:03:32
AM
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 07, 2008 11:03:32 A
M

28K Posts

Did you boot to Safe Mode with Network Support as I asked in my last post?

Steve

28K Posts

August 7th, 2008 01:00

Let's do some troubleshooting.  Go to Start > Run and type cmd to open a command prompt window.  In the command prompt window, type the following:

ping dell.com then hit the Enter key.  What happens?

then type the following:

ping  143.166.224.244 then hit the Enter key.  What happens?

Steve

1 Message

August 7th, 2008 09:00

Do you have Zone Alarm as your firewall ? There was a bulletin not long ago that stated that the new windows update  in XP would cause the zone alarm firewall to block all internet activity...need to turn down the settings to medium in order to connect to the internet...Hope this helps...

5 Posts

August 7th, 2008 10:00

ping dell.com: ping request could not find host dell.com

ping 143.166.224.244: destination host unreachable

I tried turning off my windows firewall as well.

1.7K Posts

August 7th, 2008 15:00

Based on the information above your router is using 192.168.1.1.  See if you can ping that address ( start > run > cmd[enter] and then ping 192.168.1.1[enter] at the c prompt).  If you can't ping the router then it is either a firewall, a problem with your network card (doubtful if you are getting a DHCP address assigned as it appears) or a problem with the router.

1 Message

December 29th, 2010 12:00

Hi.. I am having this same problem.. I followed the advice already given and pinged my IP address... All 4 packets were cent and received... The link status says I am connected however, every time I try to get on to the Internet.. I get the Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage message.. Also when I try to ping dell.com.. it tells me that it could not find host and to please check the name and try again.. Please help.. I got this computer for my daughter for Christmas and feel horrible that it is not allowing her to connect to the internet.. ALSO it is connecting when I plug it in directly and it will connect to unsecure networks.. just not secured ones.. even with the password.. Wierd... yes.. lol Thank you

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 29th, 2010 16:00

DollyDivine,

Try the Windows key and the R keys at the same time. Type

cmd

hit enter. type

ping google.com

What happens?

I wish Steve was here to help you, I miss him.

Rick

1 Message

December 16th, 2011 05:00

Hello, I am in the same situation as you.  Did you ever get this resolved??

2 Posts

July 12th, 2012 17:00

I too am having a very similar problem. seems to run rampant on dell d600's.  My dell D600's mobo ceased to work for  charge/ connector problem, so replaced mobo. prior to this all worked except running on charger and charging. Now replacement mobo using same wifi card, charges and runs computer and all is well except that no internet connection on cat 5 or wifi. it sees all available wifi connections showing same signal strength as my sons newer gateway, but while the gateway connects to all easily on cat 5 or wifi, Dell d600 will not connect under any circumstances. it says wifi card is working perfectly some ways that i check while other places it claims it isn't installed. installing and or repairing driver no help, even though it says successfully installed or repaired it still wont work. downloaded driver on gateway installed it on D600 using jump drive, stops saying instsallation interrupted each time install, no idea what is interrupting it, and  no change in operation. I didnt want to believe it's the card cause it worked fine with old mobo and sees the wifi connections and good signal strength, and sometimes reports the card is properly installed and working. but i guess new card is my next step. I still have no idea on cat5 not working either. I have 3 routers all same result with network names and passwords. im just as stumped as everyone else here.

2 Posts

June 10th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my Dell D600. It used to connect to this router (EA4500) without problem, but one day from nothing it is not connecting anymore. I doesn’t complain about nothing but doesn’t connect.

I can connect to my other router (E3000) without problem, but cannot do it to this EA4500.

I have other 3 computers (1 PC and 2 MAC) that can connect to both routers without problems.

I reboot many times my D600, I checked the Turemobile 1300 driver and it is working well, no complains no “!” on the device manager and as I said it can connect to the other router.

I can connect with the Ethernet cable to this router without a problem but I cannot with the wireless.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you a lot,

Fabio Corbellini Pereira

1 Message

September 15th, 2014 18:00

Hi yes I did that in the command window and it shows reply from 74.125.227.230 but when I type ping dell.com it says request timed out

No Events found!