Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2014 18:00

Dell N5050 - New Hard Drive, No WiFi

Just installed a new hard drive in a Dell N5050 Laptop. I have no WiFi signal and the antenna is turned on. I assume I don't have a driver installed or something. I have the Driver CD that came with the laptop originally. There are only 2 choices for drivers. On is Realtek RTL81XX PCI-E Network Connection - I installed that but it appears that is not a wireless driver. It keeps saying I have a cable unplugged. The other one on the CD is Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card Desktops, but when I try to install that one I get a DW Setup error: The installer can not run on this platform. Please select package for your operating system. What driver do I need??

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 11:00

Hi all, hey just a word to let you know I got it fixed. Since it had no internet signal I was downloading the drivers onto a memory stick and then trying to install them onto the laptop, but I kept getting digital signature errors. What I ended up doing was restarting the laptop and hitting F8 to take me into my startup menu. Once there I disabled signature verification. Restarted and then the driver worked. Once I got a driver to work, I was able to log in to Dell, enter my service tag and it looked for all the right drivers I needed and installed them. After that, I restarted and hit F8 again and re-enabled digital signature verification. It now works like a charm. Might have been the long way around it but I'm back in business. Thanks for all the ideas, they most certainly helped.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 27th, 2014 19:00

Hello. Trying re-posting on the Networking board. Be sure to tell them which operating system you have.

After an operating system installation you should follow the order of installation. You can skip the 1st item if you don't have it (Dell System software) but be sure to install the next item, Intel Chipset driver.

All of your drivers are on the Inspiron N5050 downloads page. You have to select your OS in the dropdown box, and if you navigate away from that page and return to it with your browser's back button, you have to re-select the OS -- unless yours is the default OS.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2014 12:00

So, after installation of the hard drive, I did not re-install anything. I assume that means the new hard drive already had a OS on it? I tried to install the Intel Chipset driver that was on my Dell CD, but it said my computer did not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 28th, 2014 14:00

I tried to install the Intel Chipset driver that was on my Dell CD

Dell doesn't usually include discs anymore. I wonder if you could have been sent one by mistake, not meant for your model, because that Atheros driver you said is on it is not meant for an an Inspiron N5050.

You could download the Intel Express Chipset software through that link I posted, but be sure to select your operating system.

I assume that means the new hard drive already had a OS on it?

I have never heard of a new hard drive with Windows pre-installed on it. Which version of Windows is it? Dell only fully supports Win 7 on the N5050.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2014 16:00

More info: I did go to that link you sent me. There are 3 options in the Intel Chipset link: 1 - Intel HM57/HM67 Express Chipset Family Driver 2 - Intel Management Engine Interface Driver 3 - Realtek RTS5138 Card Reader Driver I'm assuming it's 1. But as you can tell I'm not that smart about this stuff. For what it's worth, the other option on my backup CD for Network drivers is Realtek RTL81XX PCI-E Network Connection. I installed that but it keeps wanting me to plug in a cable as if to say it's not a wireless network driver. The actual message is: The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable. I have no idea what that means.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2014 16:00

Well I had the option to buy the backup CDs and I did. It says P/NGY2MX, Rev. A01, July 2010 on it. But below it does say Dell IN2020M. Is that another Dell model and as you mentioned they did send me the wrong disc? The hard drive has windows 7 on it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 28th, 2014 17:00

For what it's worth, the other option on my backup CD for Network drivers is Realtek RTL81XX PCI-E Network Connection. I installed that but it keeps wanting me to plug in a cable as if to say it's not a wireless network driver.

I think the Realtek RTL81xx PCI-E is an Ethernet device. By that, I mean the internet connection where you connect an Ethernet cable from a modem or router to the computer's network connection port.

There are some wi-fi drivers on the N5050 downloads page, in the Network category. Looks like there are a few "Dell" branded wireless drivers. That is probably for wireless hardware made by some company like Broadcom but using the Dell brand name. Probably one of those drivers is what you need.

This is the Laptop Audio board and this stuff is outside my particular area. If you post on the Wireless board those guys should be able to tell you how to determine which wireless hardware you have and which driver you need for it.

I did mean the Intel Express Chipset.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2014 17:00

I believe you are correct, they shipped me the wrong CD. When selecting the model, the only model choice it has is Inspiron Desktop 560/560s. Nice.

9 Posts

January 28th, 2014 18:00

I did some digging around, I found where I could plug in my service tag and get a list of the laptop configuration as was shipped. It shows a DW1702 Half Mini Card. That's not one of the options on the N5050 downloads list so I did some more digging and found that the 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 + HS Driver might work. I downloaded it and it appeared to want to work, but now it says it can't verify the digital signature. I'm getting closer. I did post on the Network board. Thanks for all the suggestions, it's helped get me a lot closer!

9 Posts

January 28th, 2014 19:00

Getting closer. I got a copy of my laptop configuration and it said it was shipped with a DW1702 Mini Card. That is not one of the options available on the download page for my model, but I've tried 3 different drivers that are available for my model and all of them come up with error code 52 (windows cannot verify the digital signature). How can I fix this?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 29th, 2014 03:00

aw2055989,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 31st, 2014 05:00

I did post on the Network board.

I see that you posted there and got a response from Rockstar Rick K two days ago, but you did not reply to him. You should talk to Rick -- he is the one who can help you out.

(Don't know why someone moved this thread to this board -- it is not an OS issue.)

9 Posts

January 31st, 2014 06:00

Just installed a new hard drive in a Dell N5050 Laptop. I have no WiFi signal and the antenna is turned on. I assume I don't have a driver installed or something. I have the Driver CD that came with the laptop originally. There are only 2 choices for drivers. On is Realtek RTL81XX PCI-E Network Connection - I installed that but it appears that is not a wireless driver. It keeps saying I have a cable unplugged. The other one on the CD is Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card Desktops, but when I try to install that one I get a DW Setup error: The installer can not run on this platform. Please select package for your operating system. What driver do I need??

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 31st, 2014 06:00

Hey Rick. I was working with the poster in this thread -- it was originally on the Laptop Audio board but someone has moved it to the OS board.

I think aw2055989 needs help in nailing down his exact wireless hardware so he can get the right driver. He says that the Dell original configuration shows a device that is not listed on his laptop's driver downloads page. That does not seem right to me.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 31st, 2014 08:00

Jim,

I have joined the threads in the Dell Networking, Internet, Wireless Forums

aw2055989,

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

What are you having issues with. Can you give a screenshot ot the device manager?

Rick

No Events found!