Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2016 07:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 Wifi disconnection and router AP crash Issues

Hi All,

I received my brand new Kaby Lake powered Dell XPS 13 9360 a couple of weeks back and I have been suffering from wifi disconnect issues since then. The USB LAN connection works perfectly using the Dell USB C adapter.

I have tried all the standard troubleshooting steps:

1. BIOS and Killer 1535 Wireless Adapter Driver updated to latest version  (including uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless drivers)

2. Updated Windows 10 to the latest anniversary edition

3. Changed Power Saving settings on the Wireless Adapter using Powershell commands as there are no Power management options for the Killer Wireless adapter in Device Manager 

(Disable-NetAdapterPowerManagement -Name "Wi-Fi" -NoRestart)

After running the above command I get the status of the relevant power mgmt parameters as below (though not sure if its really effective)

DeviceSleepOnDisconnect : Inactive
WakeOnMagicPacket : Disabled

4. Installed the latest Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 10

Even after running step 1 and then later step,2 the wifi connection used to disconnect after some time (especially when a large file was being downloaded or any high network usage activity). Running a speed test of my broadband connection is a sure way to disconnect from wifi. More importantly this disconnection used to crash the Access Point on my TP-Link WR841N router which caused all my other devices to lose network connection as well and required a Router restart.

After steps 3 and 4 I have noticed the Wifi disconnections are not happening any more (atleast for now), but the Access Point crashes continue as it is, so effectively the wifi does not disconnect but the router AP crashes and needs a Router restart.

So my question to you all is do I need to change any config on the Wireless setup of my router to ensure the AP does not crash, or the should I change my router and get an AC router. If the router might not be the issue then it might be due to Windows 10 and the known issues with the Killer 1535 Wifi adapter itself.

I tried changing the Channel Width to 20 MHz but it reduced the network bandwidth and gave me 1/3rd of the available speed. 

Any help and pointers especially keeping my specific router issue in mind would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 Message

July 31st, 2017 00:00

After hours on the phone to Dell I've not been able to convince them to replace the card for me. They state that they only replace like for like for faulty components under warranty. I mentioned all the previous cases and even linked them this discussion but no dice, even after explaining that I'll be using this in the field so upgrading firmware on a router doesn't help if I run into another tplink router in the wild.

We're a business customer so I'll attempt to escalate to our account manager but it's looking like all Dell want to do now is point to tplinks beta firmware as the answer

1 Message

February 21st, 2018 16:00

I've been fighting with this issue (Killer 1535 crashing my wifi network) for months with my new work laptop and I finally got it! :Surprise:

I installed the Killer Control Center and included all of the available drivers, allowed it to terminate the existing connection during install, and it finally stopped crashing my network! So somehow this fixed it, even though installing the drivers directly from their website didn't. Shrug, anyways, I'm happy now :)

1 Message

April 18th, 2018 20:00

I can confirm that the Killer Control Center install fixed my new Dell XPS 13 with Killer wifi 1535 crashing my TP-Link Archer C7 router.

No Events found!