Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

December 7th, 2012 10:00

Dell XPS14Z (L412Z) w/Intel Centrino 6230, Win7 64-bit, re-install driver now nothing works

This computer has shown the connectivity issues that are easy to find on these forums with the Intel 6230 card.  Was getting wireless connectivity but it was pretty bad.  For the unit here, I un-installed the drivers and re-installed them - the 14.3 versions.

Now the unit won't even work wirelessly.  Card says it's all fine in the Device Manager.  When I go to Manage Wireless Networks, none show up.  I hit the adapter properties from this display and nothing happens.  I hit the "Add" button and attempt to Manually Create a network profile and I get "An unexpected error occurred".

Network Diagnostics on this card continues to point to the driver.  Windows attempt to repair just says that the wireless network adapter is experiencing problems.  On other attempts, I was getting a Code 31 error but was not able to resolve it and there were no apparent problems in device manager (show hidden devices included).

How could re-installing a driver cause this to hose and how can I get this all reset to at least where we were starting from?

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

December 9th, 2012 23:00

Hi Ududidj,

It appears that the 'wireless capability' of the laptop is not enabled. Please follow the steps listed below to activate 'wireless card' in the system:
- Press the wireless key combination (Fn + F2) on the keyboard. If that does not work, try using the F2 key only
The current wireless status is displayed on the screen
Wireless enabled

Wireless disabled

If no activity is observed on using the 'wireless radio button', you may check the status of 'Wireless/Bluetooth' in 'Windows' alternatively
- Click 'Pearl/Start' icon -- > Type "Windows mobility center" in search bar above that  -- > Click it. Please capture the 'Wireless' status. Turn it 'on' if needed. Please refer to the image below:
- Also launch the 'Radio control Options' and place a tick mark besides 'Wireless' and 'Bluetooth' options (if not there already). This will allow (Fn + F2) key combination to control 'Wireless'

If the issue persists, please share the exact status of 'wireless card driver' in the device manager. A screen shot will be of great help. Is the wireless card (Intel Centrino Wireless N 6030) detected in the 'Device manager'? You may use the steps listed below to check the status of the wireless card in the system:
- Click ‘Start’, and then click ‘Control Panel’
- Click ‘Hardware and Sound’
- Click ‘Device Manager’
- ‘User Account Control’ dialog box appears
- Click ‘Continue’
- Device Manager Page opens up
- Locate ‘Network Adapter’ and expand it
- Check if 'Intel Centrino Wireless N 6030' is detected

If a yellow mark/question mark is observed be sides the card, please install the card drivers. If the card shows up in the list, try re installing its drivers. To re install drivers, please refer to the following steps:
- Right click 'wireless adapter' and click 'uninstall'
- Follow  through with the uninstall
- Restart the laptop and install fresh drivers from 'Intel website' directly
- Click http://intel.ly/TOFH6W to access the apt drivers for the wireless card
- Download 'Wireless_15.3.1_s64.exe' file and follow through with the installation
- Restart the laptop and recheck the status

Hope this helps. do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

No Events found!