Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2009 22:00

Ethenet device

I have just completed a reinsallation  on my Dell Dimension 2400 using the Dell disk.  Everything is working except in the device manager the Ethenet shows the yellow ? Hence I can not connect to the internet The driver for this device is not in the driver disk which came with the computer.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Les    Ohope  New Zealand

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 1st, 2009 08:00

lesdow,

Install the Desktop Utility and then the chipset drivers. The install the other ones. Just re-install them and see what happens. Remember to restart your computer for them to take effect.

Rick

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 22:00

Hi Rick,

I have fixed the driver problem thanks to your help. Keep up the good work.

Regard

Les   New Zealand

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2009 02:00

Les,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 1st, 2009 02:00

lesdow,

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

4 Posts

June 1st, 2009 02:00

Thanks PudgyOne

All the device drivers are showing working in the Device Manager. Are you saying I should uninstal all the Dell ones and reinstall all fron the dell driver disk starting with the Desktop system Software?

Les New Zealand

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 1st, 2009 08:00

Les,

Install the desktop utility. Then re-install the chipset drivers. In most cases, these need to be installed first or the rest of the drivers fail to install. The ethernet drivers are in the chipset drivers.

Rick

4 Posts

June 1st, 2009 22:00

Hi Rick

Thanks for your reply- I am going to be away for a few days so will try what you say and get back to you.

Les

nz

No Events found!