Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2008 15:00

HELP! HELP! COMPUTER IDIOT WITH PROBLEMS!

I posted here a few days ago about my computer running really slow, and I did everything that I was advised to do, however it has just gotten worse. I am very concerned about this, because I need my computer for both my job and for college, and at this point cannot afford to buy a new one. I am going to list everything that has happened, because I think it could all be related, and even if it's not, I think it's really strange. For example: the little arrow on the tool bar on the right hand side that hides they icons, I didn't put that there, or do anything to have it put there, I just turned on my computer one day and it was there. Also on the tool bar is a little black box with 2 red circles in it. Have no idea what that is. Same thing, just started showing up. I unistalled McAfree as advised in a previous reply, yet it still comes up when I boot up my computer, and the icon is still on my tool bar. I installed Windows Malicious Software Remover Tool, and it's not anywhere. I installed it twice, it's nowhere. I installed windows defender, and it is there, but won't run, and I am not getting the error messages listed on the installation page. I have never had problems with pop ups, never. I've always had my settings on medium high security. Now I get pop ups every 30 seconds or so, even though I've changed my settings up to high. What the ? My internet freezes up and I have to end program to get out. My outlook express is really odd too, last night it kept trying to receive a message, I finally  had to end that program as well, because nothing was happening, it just kept trying to receive a message that didn't appear to be anywhere. I am SOOOOOO frustrated right now, I can't even describe it. I have very little patience with this type of thing anyway, and this is just a nightmare. Please, anyone that can think of what might be wrong, reply with any advice. I did install the malware program advised in an earlier post. I did the scan and then removed or repaired the problems found. I tried to install the other program she told me about, AV I think it was, but of course, this computer wouldn't do anything when I clicked on download, which is why I ended up looking on microsoft, to see what was there. PLEASE HELP!!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

In order to "tell your story" it would be helpful to the people who volunteer on the malware removal forum if you post a couple of logs.

Please download to your desktop Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

• If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

• Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.

• The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.

• When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

• Make sure that everything is checked
    Click Remove Selected.

• When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)

• The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

• If you are still having problems and/or would like a follow-up check to be sure the infection as well as vulnerabilities are gone, copy and paste the entire report into a New Message on the Malware Removal forum. Also include a fresh HijackThis log. Instructions for downloading HijackThis are at the top of that forum.
    1. Just click the Start A New Thread button (upper right) in the Malware Removal forum here:
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3521.aspx

to start your own thread requesting assistance for a follow-up check to be sure the malware is gone.
    2. In the discussion window that opens, simply Right-Click and select Paste.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
* If you are unable to download or install MBAM on your computer, see if you can use a friend's or family member's computer to download MBAM. Use this update link here to manually download the update. Once downloaded, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "findjunk.exe". Copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive. Transfer the file to the infected computer. Install the "findjunk.exe" file, then run the update so that you will have the current definitions. After that, run a full system scan and select to have the program REMOVE whatever it finds.

279 Posts

please give us a link to your other post so we can see what was done before so you don't have to start from the beginning

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

November 29th, 2008 16:00

QUOTE:

I tried to install the other program she told me about, AV I think it was, but of course, this computer wouldn't do anything when I clicked on download, which is why I ended up looking on microsoft, to see what was there.

If you are referring to my instructions, I asked you to run MBAM, and if you still have problems, post logs on the Malware Removal forum. Most likely an infection is preventing you from running security programs. If you cannot run MBAM, we have other ways to fix these things, but you will need to work with someone trained to handle removals on that forum.

11 Posts

November 29th, 2008 20:00

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer, I did run that program, and I deleted all the files that it said were bad or whatever. I didn't go to the Malware forum because I guess I didn't think it was a problem with that program??? And I did get the avast downloaded, I have no idea what to do with it, when I restarted my computer, it did a very thourough scan, from what I could tell, it took a while, but there were only 3 files in the log, and it didn't say what they were or what to do, so I just deleted them. Now, I went into properties on internet explorer, and I hadn't changed a single thing, the last time I was there they were all set to high, because I was trying to get the pop ups to stop, and they were reset to medium high. Now I get that pop up message about secure and non-secure items on every page I go to. It's like one thing stops, and something else starts. I'm sorry I didn't go to the forum, I am so lost and confused right now I don't know where to go from here. And most of the time I can't get anywhere anyway. If I access a site through a link in a message or on another page, I am fine, but like here, if I just put www.dell.com in my browser, I'd sit there forever. It won't take me anywhere. I am getting so frustrated, I don't know what to do??????

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2008 21:00

Go to Control panel, Internet Options, Security and change your settings to Medium. Use the default settings.

Is your problem with Internet Explorer? Try disabling all the add-on. Click on tools, manage add-ons, click on each add-on and disable them to be able to get online. If so, try using Mozilla Firefox.

Post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Removal Forum.

Rick

11 Posts

November 29th, 2008 21:00

I am trying to respond here, but for the most part, whenever I click on anything, this system just sits here and does nothing. I don't get the status bar at the bottom of the screen, or if I do, I only get 2 or 3 of the little green bars saying it's doing something. And the blue circle at the top, on the tab goes constantly, it never stops. So I can't ever tell what's going on. Okay, I'm confused about why I would do anything with the malware, I ran the scan and deleted the files it said to. Doesn't that mean it worked? That part I had no trouble with at all. I did download the avast and am totally lost on that. It did some sort of scan, but it only found 3 files and I deleted them. I just don't understand what is going on. Is there anyway I can find out if there's some kind of virus on my computer? I thought that's what I downloaded all these programs for, but they aren't finding anything, and every minute something else goes wrong. Now the thing pops up that security box for every single page I go to, even though I've reset the settings a thousand times. Please tell me what to do. I am panicing, because I can't buy a new computer, and I need this for both school and work. Am I not understanding the malware issue correctly? I did the scan, I guess I can do it again, but it took over an hour yesterday. I can go to the forum, at least I can try, but I'm not sure what I would be doing there, I did everything I was supposed to do, at least I think I did. I am trying to understand all this, but I don't know much about this stuff, so please bear with me. I appreciate the help.

No Events found!