Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2013 07:00

HELP: My Dell is as slow as a snail

I am hoping someone can provide me with some advice on this issue because my Dell is so painfully slow that it is a misery to use it at this point. I'm not a techie so I don't know where to look.

I own a Dell Studio XPS 9100 working with Windows XP.  I have a broadband cable modem with a brand new router. 

The system is unbelievably slow.  On top of that, at least 50% of the time I load a page on the internet, I get a message that the system is "not responding" and I lose connectivity.  Even when I connect, pages take forever to load and I almost never get to watch a video clip without it stopping in the middle. I tested the following potential problems:

1)  The Browser:  People always say the problem is Windows Internet Explorer.  In order to address this I loaded Firefox and Google Chrome.  the same connectivity problems affect those browsers too so I don't think it is Explorer.

2) The Cable Connection:  I completed the Ping test and the speeds are within a healthy range.  But when using a laptop off of the same router, there are no connectivity problems.  That would seem to rule out the cable company, but perhaps there is still a problem with the connection to my PC?

3) The Computer:  I feel like there is something wrong with the computer, but when I do the Dell Diagnostics Test, everything comes up as "passed test".    It can't be hard drive storage because I have 90% free space

4) My Memory:  How do I know how much memory I have and whether it is sufficient for today's applications?  It may be that too many programs are running at the same time but I don't know how to check this.

5) My Virus Protection:  I have McAfee and BitDefender and each time I do a test there are no viruses.  That having been said, could it be that having two virus protection programs slows the system?  Should I get rid of one of them? I also have an Anti-Malware program that shows nothing out of ordinary.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 14th, 2013 11:00

Hi youngmd64,

I appreciate your efforts to fix the performance issue with the Studio XPS 9100. You will need to press the “Windows” + “Pause/Break” keys together to obtain the system information that also contains the amount of memory installed.

I suggest you to use any one of the security software on the system, as using multiple security software can trigger false positives and may slow down the system.

You can also run the Microsoft Fixit to optimize the system performance from the following link:
http://bit.ly/gfumFI

Please let me know if you need further assistance

No Events found!