Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 9th, 2008 19:00

Having intermittent problems losing internet connection.

Hi,

It has been occurring for a couple/three months. I partly blamed it on Electrical Storms, because it happened regularly at that time. However, it still happens but the storms have abated. I use the Hibernate for shut down and more times than not I would lose the internet connection when I powered back up (it happens on fresh boot too), through a wireless connection to a DSL Modem (Specs below); when this happens the Modem Led's indicate as okay. No error messages - that I can find. When I off/on power the modem the connection is restored, but this is getting very aggravating. Your every consideration is appreciated.

6 Posts

September 10th, 2008 13:00

I'm having the same problem! Sorry I can't help, Just commenting so later I can come back and see if there's a solution!

6 Posts

September 10th, 2008 22:00

It's a little tough to tell without more details.  Does this only happen during restart from hibernate or a reboot? Never during an active session?  When it happens, go to Settings -> Control Panel -> Network Connections and look for your wireless network connection.  What status does it show?  Right click it to view status.  Try using the right click to disable/enable the device.  Does that restore the connection? 

Do you use Intel ProSet wireless or let Windows manage the wireless?  Look for the wireless icon in the lower right and right click that to find out.  Right click the icon and open it.  Does it show a status?  

Dig around a little and let us know what you see. 

225 Posts

September 11th, 2008 00:00

Well, it happened again today, but I was on-line reading my e-mail at Verizon website.

The only things out of the ordinary were some entries in the Event Viewer System Log File (Blue exclamation - information): Event Codes 4201 "The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{761A694C-EB33-4A29-852D-5E3045432D88}". This appeared ten times 5 seconds apart. Followed by: Event Code 8033 "The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{761A694C-EB33-4A29-852D-5E3045432D88} because a master browser was stopped." ...and Event Code 4202 "The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{761A694C-EB33-4A29-852D-5E3045432D88} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers."

I recycled the power of the Modem and was reconnected.

I have no idea if these 'events' are applicable to my problem or not. I looked as far back as the log file recorded and the above scenerio was not repeated, though 4201 does appear numerous times. The log file goes back to 8/7/08.

Thank you, Bob

No Events found!