Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2013 11:00

How do I switch from wireless to ethernet cable on a XPS8500 ?

I just put a new HDD in my machine,(old one broke a month out of warranty ) reinstalled a load of software etc, its working fine but it seems to have defaulted to wireless.

As the router is sat on top of the PC there is no need for me to be microwaving myself, however I can't find anywhere with a option to change between wi-fi & cable.

I remember that the option was there when I first set up the XPS, but I didn't see it this time.

Any help much appreciated guys !

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

August 14th, 2013 12:00

Hi Cmdr Ashtar,

It appears that the Ethernet card driver are not installed on the system. Please share the Operating System installed. Also, once you have connected the Ethernet cable, you may disable the wireless network and the connection shall change to wired network from wireless.

Please share the screenshot of the Device Manager with Network Controller and Other Devices expanded for me to identify if the drivers are installed or not. Here are the steps:

• Press the key combination Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • The Device Manager windows will appear.
  • Click on the sign next to Network Controller and Other Devices to expand them.

Please reply with the information, I'll be happy to assist further.

August 14th, 2013 13:00

Thank you very much for your reply, I found where the controller was & disactivated the wi-fi (& bluetooth as I don't need it) and its defaulted to the ethernet cable by its self.

Cheers !

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

August 14th, 2013 13:00

Hi Cmdr Ashtar,

Glad to know the issue is resolved. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance in future.

No Events found!