Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 9th, 2006 01:00

INSPIRON B120 Linking internal card to LYNKSYS Wireless Router

Following my own problems of learning that I needed a USB connector and then finally completing the wireless linkup, my daughter thought to take the smart route and ordered her Inspiron with an internal card already installed.
She is able to link (weakly) to an external network near her house but cannot link at all to the LYNKSYS wireless router she has purchased. 
I've been asked to help, but need help myself. 
Are there any wrinkles involved when installing the router on her desktop machine?  My first thought is to uninstall the router and then reinstall with encryption off!
Do I have to change any settings on the laptop?
All suggestions welcome

28K Posts

March 9th, 2006 01:00

The instructions that come with the Linksys router are some of the easiest I have ever seen.  All wireless networks should initially be set up using the defualt settings.  The default settings use the default SSID (Linksys), have no encryption enabled, no MAC address filtering enabled, and use the default username and password for the router.  There is absolutely no need to install any software on any computer to use the router, as all settings can be accessed using a web based configuration utility by opening a web browser and typing http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar.   Once it is detemined that the wireless network works using the default settings, one can then go into the web based configuration utility and enable the security settings, one at a time, making sure the network still works after changing a setting and before going in and changing another setting.

Steve

4 Posts

March 9th, 2006 15:00

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks,

Roger

No Events found!