Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2012 17:00

INTERNET ANNOYANCE

hello, i ahve a dell inpiron 530, running on xp, sp3, and i have it directly connected to a high-sppend lan thats is directly connect to our router, and i also have a usb, wireless internet adapter, it is a netgear usb, used to connect to the internet.

so heres the story:  a while ago we wanted to make the computer wireless, so we got the usb thing, installed it and great, it works. now, when i want to use lan, and not the wifi, it will not use it. i look in internet connections, and go to status for each, it said this right now:

lan:  sent 72 , received 62

netgear: sent: 357,000, received: 586,000

? then i try to disconnect the usb, by removing it from the computer, and then i try to go to google and it says no connections. and since this is a xp and im used to a win 7(my laptop RIP(it destroyed itself))

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO LIKE, SET PRIORITY TO LAN, SO I WOULD STILL BE ABLE TO USE WIFI, BUT O NLY WHEN LAN IS NOT AVAILABLE.

thx, Bryce

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

October 9th, 2012 20:00

i solved my own problem

i found a braodband network adapter {hardware}, installed it, and internet worked.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 30th, 2012 18:00

Bryce,

Make and model of your wireless router ad the type of security you're using? What channel?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 30th, 2012 18:00

Hi Bryce,

I'm going to move your message to the network and internet forum. That's the best place to get help for this problem.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

September 30th, 2012 19:00

uhh, it was working before directly connected to the router but ok.

router: D-link dir-825 with firmware version: 1.13NA (i still have to get a time to update it)

USB: NETGEAR WINDA3100V2 it says also:

device:

driver version: 5.60.180.11  

Smart wireless utility version: 1.0.3.15

and thats about it for device info.

wifi chanel: 6(i have seen 11, 5, and others before)

NO N. just G.

WPA-PSK

speed: 54mbs(wifi)

(the lan always shows 100.0mbs regardless the computer)

antivirus program: McAffe

hope that enough details, there is more i can give you but i have to go like find the box and stuff.

Bryce

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 30th, 2012 20:00

Bryce,

Try WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal)

Channel 11

This is for printers but will get you to the firewall settings. Allow a printer past McAfee

On the computer...

Start, control panel, device manager.

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                              

No Events found!