Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2015 23:00

Inspiron 3543 wireless issues

Hi

My Dell Inspiron 3543 keeps disconnecting from wireless networks. The laptop runs Windows 10 64-bit Single Language with a Broadcom wireless adapter. I have updated all the drivers on my laptop (including the wireless driver) and I have updated the firmware on my Trendnet router. The issue also happens on my router at work. On both networks, my old laptop works fine and never disconnects.

I have done the following, but nothing seems to help:

1. Update laptop drivers

2. Update router firmware

3. Change the Power Options/Wireless Adapter Settings/Power Savings mode to 'Maximum Performance' for both On Battery and Plugged In

4. Changed the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter Properties/Minimum Power Consumption to disabled.

5. Ran a virus scan

6. Formatted the laptop

7. Updated the BIOS

8. Ensured that other devices were able to connect to the network when my laptop could not connect

Nothing seems to work. The laptop still frequently disconnects and sometimes does not even pick up any wireless networks. I usually have to disable and enable the adapter or restart the laptop just to get it to connect again, which wastes time and interrupts whatever work I am busy with.

Any suggestions?

Regards

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 28th, 2015 10:00

Did you always have a problem? There was a guy who always had a problem with his wireless.

Anyway, not sure what else to do except for you to follow Dell's troubleshooting guide. I don't have the link, but you can probably find it through Google.

Your other option is to buy another card or use a USB wifi adapter. Lots of good deals.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 27th, 2015 07:00

formatted the laptop?  I have no idea what that means. You wiped the hard drive?

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN148687/EN

4 Posts

November 27th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

It means I reinstalled the OS as well as all the drivers, in a hope that the issue might be fixed but the network is still totally unreliable and keeps disconnecting.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 27th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

It means I reinstalled the OS as well as all the drivers, in a hope that the issue might be fixed but the network is still totally unreliable and keeps disconnecting.

Did you install the drivers in the order required?

4 Posts

November 28th, 2015 05:00

Yes, I did install the drivers in the order stated, but the issue still persists.

4 Posts

November 28th, 2015 11:00

Hi

Yes, this problem has always existed.  But thanks, I will look into just buying an external adapter. Hopefully the problem is fixed with future driver releases.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2015 11:00

I just got the same model of Dell laptop and have exactly the same problem.   Very very disappointing.  Spent many hours trying to resolve myself, then got Dell support who took a look and found that the driver installed when the machine was initialized was not correct (it had broadband router instead of Dell Wireless router).   I thought this fixed the problem as I was able to work for 30-60 minutes, then the driver died again.

What's happening is the driver can pick up typical networks at the start and you can pick your router and it will work fine for about 30 minutes.   Then you can see the connection starts to go sporadic, then it dies altogether.  When it dies, I think it's actually crashing as it can't detect any avail networks after this happens and cannot be resolve unless you restart the computer.  

I know its a problem with this PC as I have many devices in the house that have worked perfectly for years, many visitors have no issues at all.  This happens near to the router and far away, not related to that.   Not related to the router at all in the sense that 99% of devices have no issues with my router.

I will be reengaging the Dell support guy again to try and figure this out.   I suspect the driver is crashing due to the wireless card/driver and Windows 10,   Guessing driver doesn't work with Windows 10.    Nice quality control Dell!    Support Issue 921538648

Interested if anyone else has this issue?

3 Posts

December 15th, 2015 08:00

The Dell support folks had to work with the Dell engineers on this one.  I believe the driver and card may not have been tested well against W10 as this appears to be a W10 compatibility issue with this machine's wireless driver.    The Dell technician basically played with the settings that go with the wireless driver and had me try again.  I believe he changed 5-7 settings, still trying to get these.   I retested for a short while and it appears it is working for now.    Hopefully this lasts and I don't lose the driver settings, still trying to get these changed settings from Dell.

1 Message

December 16th, 2015 07:00

I have same issue, can you share the settings that were changed?

3 Posts

December 16th, 2015 12:00

Sure:

Here are the steps that was made by the Dell tech on my Dell computer, few of the features mentioned are not available for this version of the wireless card (1704/1705 )present in your dell computer

Troubleshooting Steps Performed
Dell wireless drivers selected (Broadcom or Wireless Driver,1705/1704,3543 )
Open Device Manager
Expanded Network Adapters, right click the wireless card and choose Properties
Make the following changes : 
Changed 802.11h+dto Strict 11h
Changed Afterburnerto Enabled
Changed Antenna Diversity to Main
Changed AP Compatibility Mode to Broader Compatibility
Changed BSS Mode to 802.11g Mode
Changed BT-AMPto Enabled
Changed Fragmentation Threshold to 2300
Changed Minimum Power Consumption to Disabled
Changed PLCP Header to Long
Changed Roam Tendency to Aggressive
Changed Roaming Decision to Optimize Distance
Changed RTS Threshold to 2300
Clicked the Power Management tab
Unchecked Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
Opened Power Options
Clicked Change plan settings for the selected power profile
Clicked Change advanced power settings
Under Wireless Adapter Settings , clicked Power Saving Mode and changed the settings to Maximum Performance

1 Message

March 14th, 2021 06:00

Me the same  issue .  It picks up signals from next house  (Dell 3543 ) sometimes it pickup after an update  it changes,  I tried usng dell driver and Broadcom 

Just wasting time pls help

March 14th, 2021 23:00

Me the same  issue .  It picks up signals from next house  (Dell 3543 ) sometimes it pickup after an update  it changes,  I tried usng dell driver and Broadcom 

No Events found!