Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 21st, 2015 09:00

Inspiron 7000 series: 7537 Wi-Fi Connection Issues

Hi. I'm looking for some help on my laptop Inspiron 7537 for connecting to Wi-Fi at home and work.  The problem I am having is the computer will not find WiFi connections and when found, will not stay connected to WiFi and once disconnected does not reconnect or will scan for availability  I've tried several items from the Dell support site along with Microsoft's site and struck out.  So now I'm looking for a real expert for help.  I tried the Wi-Fi connection at work and the computer found connection then disconnected.  My cell phone has no problems in connecting and staying connected at my Wi-Fi at home.

To help:

• My computer operation is Windows 8
  • Intel® 7260BGN + BT4.0 [Intel® Wireless-N 7260 BGN + Bluetooth 4.0]
  • WiFi is Netgear at home, and work is through a Network
  • I disconnected my antivirus for an hour without change
  • I've been leaving my computer next to the router at home (within) a 2-feet to ensure it would connect.   
  • Computer will connect to internet using cable to the router
  •  Sometimes the internet connection shows 'limited', but then disconnects for good.
  • No available Wi-Fi connections will be scanned for connectivity after loosing connection
  • I Updated home router software
  • I disconnected wireless adapter and reconnected.
  • I updated Dell Driver from website.
  • I've optimize the adapter on the computer, but not change
  • I completed all items in this link:

windows.microsoft.com/.../network-connection-problem-help;v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

The issue of losing connection to the Wi-Fi was intermittent for some time for about a year now, or since I got the computer, and has gotten worse over time.  In the past I would be able to slide the connection bar "off" and then "on" and then I would connect.  Now I have lost the connection and ability to show available wireless connections (not even my neighbor's).  I'm very certain something is wrong with the computer and not the router or connection system at home or at work. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

1.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

It looks like the latest version of driver that we have for the Intel 7260 is Version 17.0.6, A02.  That driver version was released, originally, in 2014.  Just to make sure, you mentioned your system is running Windows 8, but you're not upgraded to Windows 8.1 are you?

Here is a link to the Intel downloads page for the Intel 7260 wifi card.  They appear to have a newer version of the driver available, but since I'm unsure whether you are running Win8 or Win8.1 I simply provided the downloads link.  You can filter to the correct operating system from that page. 

I would recommend downloading the Intel Proset software utility as well as the latest driver.  Install that and see if it helps or not.  If not, please let us know and we'll see what else we can suggest to help.

Todd

2 Posts

October 27th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Thank you very much for the response.  Over the weekend, I was able to install the latest driver version for my 8.1 with 64bit and then download the latest version from Intel.  Unfortunately, that did not help nor was it able to allow my computer to scan for available Wifi connections.  I was uncertain, the order of which the two were supposed to be updated so I then updated the driver a second time.  That didn't help either.

I wanted to ensure that my computer didn't need to make some additional updates to run the latest driver and wifi, so I waited until the next day to see if would scan and connect to wifi.  Sunday, I started my computer and I found no available Wifi connections scanned. 

I decided to call Dell's help desk to resolve my issue.  With my computer able to connect with Ethernet cable, he was able to take control to root cause why my computer wasn't scanning wifi and connecting.  It took him a while to fully investigate everything, and in the end, I needed to unplug the wifi wire from the internet card and reconnect it.  After starting the computer, available wifi were scanned and it was able to connect.  I used it for a small time Sunday night and last night, as well.  Hopefully, the contact points between the wifi card and wire connector don't separate in the future.  I'm not sure if there was any type of film or oxidation between the two previously, but at least I know where to look in the future. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I should look at to help this area out.

1 Message

May 12th, 2016 22:00

Hi,

I have an extremely similar problem with mine. How did this fix work out for you? Did u take any other steps and how did it turn out?

Thanks for the help!

No Events found!