Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

May 13th, 2006 09:00

Inspiron B130 New - Bad Modem - System Problem?

I just got my new B130 and have modem problems.  It is really strange.  I disconnects frequently.  I contacted DELL and they went through their steps and declared the modem bad.  Unfortunately, I already gave away my other laptop and can't be without one while DELL fixes the problem (they wanted me to send it back to be repaired). 

Now, here is what I've noticed with my B130...it has a problem doing two things at one time.  If I'm dialing out - and open anything - you can hear the dialer breaking up and it will cause the dialer to have a problem making its handshake. 

I also noticed that at boot up when the Windows sound comes up it breaks up while another process is loading. 

I have two other DELLs and never noticed this problem.  It is though the B130 can't buffer (or whatever) two things at one time. 

I noticed that the modem will keep its connection if I start something immediately, don't touch my keyboard  - it will finish a download (virus update), etc. 

The minute I do something - the connection will be lost if I'm not quick. 

Maybe there is a setting that I can verify?

31 Posts

May 14th, 2006 11:00

I loaded up EVERY SINGLE UPDATE (i.e., video, sound, system, etc.) for my B130 and guess what?

1.  Boot time went from 3 minutes to 30 seconds!

2.  Modem works like a champ!

33 Posts

June 5th, 2006 03:00

I have a B130.  How do I update like you did?
No Events found!