Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2009 09:00

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG intermittent / keeps reconnecting

I've read many forums and found no answer to this issue that I'm having with the wirless network connection constantly reconnecting, typically every few minutes.  When this occurs, often the wi-fi light on the laptop also drops out for a few seconds, then it reconnects.  I've even had a Case open with Dell on this and they replaced the motherboard, the wireless card, wireless adapter, and the wireless antenna.  Yet I still have the problem.

I've read about updating the Intel PRO/Wireless 2000BG drivers and tried those from both Dell and the even newer ones from Intel.  Did not fix the issue.

I do NOT have this issue with any of the other 2 wireless computers in the house.

Here are my system details: Dell Inspiron 9300 / Win XP MCE / Wireless Router is Linksys G (WRT54G) with updated drivers running WPA Personal with TKIP.  When connected signal strength is usually "excellent or very good".

This has been happening for years now and is very frutstrating as it has caused us to drop a connection in an online appliaction (for example) that then goes stupid because it thinks we left.  Argh.

I've tried changing channels on the wireless router to no avail (even used a shortware radio to tune near those frequencies to see if some other interference was responsible), and this happens at home and away, so am confident it's this stupid Intel wireless card.  I don't have any cordless phones.

I've tried both letting Intel and Windows "control" the wireless connections, and both do the same thing - keep dropping out and reconnecting.  I'm within 30-50 feet of my wireless router and pretty much line of sight to it.

When using Intel's event viewer to log event I noticed that if I'm busy downloading a big file (say an OS ISO or streaming YouTube) it doesn't occur, but if I just let the system sit there then usually, every 2 minutes and 2 seconds later (no kidding, it's been that exact at 122 seconds usually) then it drops and reconnects.

Has ANYONE ever found a solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance,

John

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 8th, 2009 09:00

On mine I install the dell drivers.

Then do a custom Unistall leaving only the Wireless Network drivers.

Reboot.

Go into services and make sure that XP wireless network auto config auto starts and is enabled.

Then Enable windows xp wireless networking and use that instead of the proset nonsense.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 8th, 2009 10:00

The Wireless Driver is the NDIS driver.

The service is "Wireless Zero Configuration"

Must be set to Auto and then you reboot with Just the Wireless driver.

You dont uninstall everything just all the items except the wireless driver so its a custom deinstall.

July 8th, 2009 10:00

Hi SpeedStep,

I'd be glad to try this, so I went to services.msc and noticed that the service "Wireless Zero Configuration" has 2 dependencies, one of which is called "NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol".  However I don't see ANY service with that name.  Any ideas on that?  Wireless Zero Configuration is set to Automatic and is started.

As for anything called "auto config" I only see "Wired auto config" which I have set to Manual and is not started.  Would that have any effect?

Thanks,

John

July 8th, 2009 11:00

Just to be sure I'm clear on what you are saying...

The NDIS driver is the wireless driver downloaded from Dell for my Intel ProSET Wireless 2200BG Card.  Correct?

And for uninstalling, do you mean to go into add/remove programs and uninstall all the Intel ProSET software?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 8th, 2009 11:00

The add remove programs for INTEL PROSET will allow you to modify or selectively UNISTALL things.

You dont want to remove EVERYTHING

You remove all items from that uninstaller EXCEPT the WIRELESS NETWORK CARD DRIVER.

July 9th, 2009 09:00

Okay, did all the mentioned solution (went back to Dell drivers, custom uninstalled Intel PROSet stuff except for the wireless driver) and STILL have the same problem.

These reconnects keep throwing the event ID 4201 in the System event viewer and I've done everything I could from the Microsoft page about that as well.

I also checked another laptop we have in the house that uses a different wireless card and it's fine, so no issue with the router either, just this particular wireless card.

Any other suggestions out there?  I can't believe how many forums across the web there are with people having the same issue with the Intel ProsSet/Wirless 2200BG card and yet no definite fixes for people.  Just amazing.

So I still need help.

No Events found!