Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2009 12:00

Internet use is intermittent even though a good connection is established.

I have a brand new Inspiron D 530 with ie-7 and Vista. I went to connect to the internet with my Comcast cable provider and have intermittent connection issues. When signed on a web page will load fine. The next page won't so I have to keep refreshing it and finally it loads. I also tried downloading a safe file and I watched the download taking place. It would download a few megabytes fast then go down to almost nothing and then back up fast again. It was like a roller coaster effect. I think the same thing is happening when I'm online. It just depends on which part of the roller coaster I'm on whether the web loads or not. It is not a Comcast cable problem because I put it back on my old computer and everything works fine. Just to be sure, I had a Comcast service tech out to the house and he verified the connection was consistent. He even used there own modem with a screen to watch the flow of data going in. Dell tech support was no help as they told me it was a software problem and wanted to sell me a service to try to solve it. The computer is still brand new with the box lying on the floor next to it. I never installed any software and the only thing I downloaded was this test file. That was after I had all these problems. Can anybody offer me some suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.

3.4K Posts

November 24th, 2009 14:00

Hello,

You may not want to hear this but ...

You have option within 30 days of the order date to return the system for any reason without cost to you.

It's your choice, but only within that 30 day window. I don't feel it's right that Dell pushes extra cost services on a new out of the box system with problems.

November 24th, 2009 14:00

Amazing you have no responses to this, not even from Dell. I have the same problem, and so do some other people. Hope you got it fixed.

20 Posts

November 24th, 2009 20:00

You might try uninstalling the network adapter (wireless or LAN) and letting it redetect and reinstall drivers for you.  Since line in is OK and other machine works well, it could be the Ethernet adapter causing the glitch (or wireless adpater if that is what  you are using).

November 25th, 2009 19:00

Well, here's where I am with this now.

1) Not sure where I confused this topic, but I can't return the machine, I bought it in July too late now. And, in reality it really isn't the hardware itself, this is a matter of everything working fine with Vista and then with Win 7 release code, then not working with the Actual Win 7 upgrade/Win 7 upgrade that Dell sent.

2) I did a lot of research on this issue, and I found out that:

A) Not only is Dell of no assistance, BUT Linksys (Cisco) is no better. They by and large totally oblivious to the fact that Windows 7 exists, and that the equipment they sold to the public needs new drivers. However, let it be noted they have a very slick website that someone has put a lot of time and money into. Anyway there's some really good info on that site. For example, Be sure that your USB adapter is plugged into a Powered USB port, a lot of the time making that switch fixes the problem.

B) Run a continuous Ping test on your connection. (at the command line type in Ping xxxyour router IPxxxx -t. This will allow you to compare your machine against others in your network, and also helps you see a pattern if there is one.

C) It appears that one of the most helpful fixes, is to run a straight install of Windows 7 and get rid of the Dell add-ins. I think I might agree with that train of thought, afterall my RC code worked, my Win7 install is faulty. I didn't get my RC from Dell, but that's where my actual product upgrade came from.

I'm going to try installing a non-OEM copy of Windows 7 I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all!!!

3.4K Posts

November 25th, 2009 19:00

C) It appears that one of the most helpful fixes, is to run a straight install of Windows 7 and get rid of the Dell add-ins. I think I might agree with that train of thought, afterall my RC code worked, my Win7 install is faulty. I didn't get my RC from Dell, but that's where my actual product upgrade came from.

I'm going to try installing a non-OEM copy of Windows 7 I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all!!!

You can do a clean install of Windows 7 using the upgrade disk that Dell provided.

It might save some $$$s that way. But if you choose to buy a retail version of Windows 7, I will be more than happy to pay the shipping for your Dell upgrade disk. :emotion-21:

1 Message

November 26th, 2009 14:00

Did you ever get this worked out? I have a D 531 ie-8 and Vista. Acutally everything works fine when I am using my account (administrator) but when the other users are logged on this problem is fairly common, ie fails to connect when viewing a page, but a refresh fixes it .  This problem has been long going--- finally decided to look into it but I am disapppointed with the lack of solutions I'm finding--- zilch.

December 6th, 2009 17:00

Wow, I can't believe I'm reading this!!!!  I'm having the same problem with an Inspiron D 530, but it's with the original Vista installation.  It's been a problem since the day I got it.  Dell  reset my computer to factory settings 2 times, and last night they had me re-install Vista from the  disc I got with the system.....haven't had a chance to check that yet.  But as I was re-installing, I thought to myself....."I think we did this too, several months ago!!!" and it didn't work.  I wonder if other 530's experience the same problem from time to time. 

Whether I use IE8, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox, I am only able to sign on to about 50% of the web pages I try to link to.  I'll get one, then when I click on a link I get the "IE is not able to display" or "website not available at this time" message, and some suggestion that my internet connection is gone....even though the network icon in the systems tray says it is fine. 

Is it possible at all this could be the hardware?

No Events found!