Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2015 14:00

No WIFI

I have a a Optiplex GX-620 with Windows XP. The only internet available is WIFI so I installed a Cisco Linsys 2500 USB Wifi adaptor. The computer identifies the account and I have the password. When I click on "connect" it does its thing but never connects

1.8K Posts

August 31st, 2015 14:00

Hello,

Are you receiving any error messages when it is attempting to connect?   Are you seeing the wireless networks, and they're being listed under the available networks, when the adapter is turned on?  How strong are the wireless network signal strength being shown in your listing of available networks?

You may want to try to reset your router by turning it off (pulling the power cable) for about 30 seconds, then plugging it back in and letting it power cycle back up.  After that, try starting your computer and then attempt to connect.  That may help.

Here is a link to the Dell Networking & Wireless Support Center.  You'll find other suggested fixes as well in that article.   But if you can give us a bit more info on what you see and what is happening we'll see if we can help you as well.

Todd

September 4th, 2015 14:00

Hi there,

Try accessing the GUI of the modem/router and check the wireless settings to verify wifi information that you entered matched the ones in the modem.  Then check also the wireless router standard; could be a/ /b /g /n or /ac.  WiFi is governed by standards established by the Institute of Electronics Engineers (IEEE), a non-profit professional organization who creates and promotes industry standards.  These standards are necessary to ensure interoperability among equipment manufactures. 

if your device is new and it's wifi capability is /ac and the router is old and can only operate in b/g, then you can see that you might have a wifi issue.

There is a setting in your router to select the standard depending also with the router.  But most routers are back ward compatible. 

No Events found!