Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2008 18:00

Problem with Linksys WPSM54G wireless print server

Hello.  I am trying to network wirelessly a Canon Pixma ip1500 printer to my home wireless network.  I cannot install the proper software on one of my computers, a Dell Inspiron 2200 running Windows XP Home.  The installation software for the computers installed on the other computers that I use.

Linksys support and help is neither supportive nor helpful.  I have two questions, and I am grateful (really grateful!) for any help:

1.    The installation software hangs when the software is copying the installation files to my computer at 96% complete.  Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, do you have a solution?  The Linksys forums have many posts on this issue, but none of the suggested fixes have worked for me, so I am soliciting alternative thoughts here.

2.     As a workaround, it has been suggested to me to try to add a TCP/IP port to the printer, and try to print using LPR.  I only dimly understand the significance and technical stuff underlying all of this, but I think I have done what I was supposed to do to set this up.  It does not work, however, and it appears the problem is with the queue setting.  Neither L1 (the suggested setting by Linksys), or alternative settings (L2, L3, USB1) work, either.  I would be grateful if someone could advise me of the method to determine the proper queue setting.

I don't know if this should be posted in the printers or the wireless networking forum, so I am posting in both.  I apologize for any inconvenience this duplication creates.

Many thanks for any and all help.

14.4K Posts

March 11th, 2008 23:00

ok i give this a shot with you..

I am assuming that the network is all functioning and that you can ping the printserver from the 2200..

You need to install the printer drivers on the 2200 first following the installtion instructions for the printer this should be done wired usually with a USB connection.. once the printer is installed onto the laptop you can then go ahead and connect the printer to the wireless print server...

then you say it works on other computers so i would go to the printers and fax setting in the controll panel. click on the printer and select properties...in the window that pops up select the port tab..find the setting for the port that the printer with the printserver is attached to this will likely be listed as a TCP/IP port..click on that port and select configure port...copy down the setting that are shown..

Now go to the laptop and again open the printer and fax settings...select the printer and then properties..

Select the add port button..enter the data that you wrote down into the sections of the port configuration..

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2008 00:00

can you give me an idea of the setup of your network..ie how you have things connected..\\

You do have the printer drivers installed on the laptop correct...

here is something else you might want to try..

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859940218&packedargs=sku%3DWPSM54G&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4021840218B01&displaypage=download#versiondetail

There a program called setup wizard might want to try that..

Message Edited by Davet50 on 03-11-2008 09:53 PM

39 Posts

March 12th, 2008 00:00

Hi, Davet50, and thank you so much for your prompt response.

Unfortunately, I can't access the port configuration on the other computers.  The port on the other computers where the printer is located is a USB port, where the port is a virtual port for the server.  When I select port configuration, I get an error message stating the operation is not supported.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks.

39 Posts

March 12th, 2008 10:00

Thanks.  I'm using the setup wizard.  It's the setup wizard installation program that hangs at 96% complete while trying to copy necessary files to my computer.  Perhaps there's an alternative installation program I can try that you know of?

THe network setup is pretty plain vanilla. I have a Linksys wireless G router.  I have three laptops and one desktop connected wirelessly, and one desktop connected by ethernet cable to the router.  I have a (wired) print server on one multi-function printer (a Canon MP600) that works properly with all computers on the network.

I think the printer drivers are installed correctly on all computers.  The printer at issue (Canon Pixma ip1500) functions properly when connected directly by USB cable to the computer at issue (Dell Inspiron 2200, XP Home), so I think the driver is installed properly.

One persistent issue is the queue name setting, referenced in point 2 of my original post.  Do you know how to figure out which queue setting to try?  Just a hunch, but I suspect if I can figure out the proper queue setting, then I might be able to make it work.

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2008 11:00

the other laptops do they connect to the linksys print server?

Can you ping the linksys printserver from the 2200 so you know that this laptop "sees" the device on the network..

39 Posts

March 12th, 2008 15:00

Yes, the other laptops connect to the print server, and yes, I can ping the server, even from the laptop at issue.

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2008 21:00

ok so we know it is not a connection issue with the laptop.

so lets review a momenet

The Cannon printer drivers are installed on the 2200 and you can print a test page when connected by usb..

We need to find the correct printer port name and ip address to manualy install the port on the 2200...

So on one of the other laptops that connect wirelessly to the cannon open the printer and fax applelet..right click on the cannon printer and selct properties..you should get a  window that looks like this

scroll down and look for the Standard TCP/IP port listing for the cannon printer and then select the configure port button..

39 Posts

March 12th, 2008 22:00

Davet50, first let me say how very grateful I am to you for your time and interest.  I respect time of others, and I truly appreciate everything you are doing.

Now, here's the problem I ran into trying to follow your instructions. On every computer where the software properly installed (and thus is connected to the print server), the port is a USB port that is described as a "virtual printer port for USB."  However, when I press the "Configure Port" button, I get an error message stating "An error occurred during port configuration.   This operation is not supported."  Nevertheless, notwithstanding this error message I can print a test page from the computer to the printer and it works properly.  THe windows printer test page identifies the port name as "USB003", data format as "RAW."  Thus I cannot open the port to see the configuration settings.

I appreciate your continued efforts - any further ideas?  As I mentioned earlier, my hunch is it has something to do with the proper queue name in the TCP/IP port I added.  How can I determine the proper queue name?  Many, many thanks.

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2008 22:00

the next screen looks like this

This is the info we are after. The port name and the printer name or address..

This info varies from mfr to mfr as the info on my dlink printserver is different then this from my netgear print server.

This is also where  you can check the protocal and queue name that the other laptops are using

After you have this info go to the 2200 right click on the cannon printer and select add port ...let the wizard run and fill in the info you copied from this pic...make sure you do this with the printer connected to the print server and not the laptop..

Also just one other thought...have you tried to install the printserver on the 2200 with not firewall and antivirus running

14.4K Posts

March 12th, 2008 23:00

when you look at the cannon printer on the 2200 in the properties page how is it listed?

Like in the example I sent it says standard TCIP/IP port..then lists the printer name...

Have you tried to install the software with the firewall and antivirus turned off?

39 Posts

March 14th, 2008 23:00

Hi, Davet50.  I apologize for the delay in responding - real life got in the way!

I solved the problem.  The key was the error code, which was "Error Code: -5003 : 0x5."  I searched the Internet, and found this solution on http://support.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/890217778.asp

which reads as follows:

This is a very rare error. This is an InstallShield error which can be
    caused by mismatched versions of InstallShield. The PC has one version
    installed and the product you are installing is using another version.

SOLUTION:
    -  Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield
    -  Take the contents of the folder and move them into a temporary folder
    -  The InstallShield folder itself should NOT be moved
    -  Now run the product install again
    -  After the product is installed, you may move those folders back

This worked.  The  software is installed and working!

Thank you, Davet50, for your time and interest.  I owe you one if I can ever be of assistance.

Jeff.

14.4K Posts

March 15th, 2008 01:00

thanks for the update and glad you got it working..
No Events found!