Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2007 09:00

Sloooowww Internet

I have a Dell Dimension 4550. Web pages load up very slowly. I am on a home network and have spoken with the technicians from my ISP who have also supplied the modem/router. We have 4 desktops wired to the modem and from 2 to 3 laptops accessing the network from within our home.

There are only two computers in the house that are very slow. This one and a Dell Dimension 3000. 

The ISP tech checked my signal strength and said I have 3000 bps coming into the house from the phone-line. Divide that by 4 to 6 computers he said, and each computer is left with from 500 to 800 bps.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. It's 5:15 A.M. right now. I am the only one up and the only one using the internet. I just went to Control Panel, Network Conections, and Status.

It says there that my speed is 100bps.

Would it be possible the ethernet card should be updated or a driver up-dated?

Thanks.

Andy

48 Posts

March 28th, 2007 12:00

Andy,

You should check to see what your Speed and Duplex is set for on the NIC. 

1. Right click on the Network Connection in question
  2. Click Configure for your network adapter
  3. Find the advanced tab
  4. Look for Speed & Duplex

In most cases, you will want to be in "Auto" mode.  In your case though, you might want to try 100MB Full. 

Another thing to remember, your connection will always say connected at 100mbps.  You have a direct link to your router, which has nothing to do with the speed of the Internet.  You are connecting at 100mb, but your internet connection only supports 3mb. 

~Aaron

No Events found!