Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2016 13:00

Slow wifi download speed

We just got an other provider with normally faster internet speed, but i only get 2 Mb/s download speed. I have a dell studio 1558

1.8K Posts

January 11th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

A few of the things you might want to update to try to improve your download speeds include:

1. Updating the wireless card driver from the main Dell support site (input your service tag, then click on Drivers & Downloads)
  2. Update the firmware on your router (instructions should have been provided by your internet provider, or with the router / modem if you purchased it yourself)
  3. Clear out all networking profiles from your system to clear any software conflicts. Delete all network profiles, reboot the system, and then try to rebuild / reconnect the profile. 
  4. Remove any security settings on the router (temporarily as a test, remember to replace them) to see if it is the software settings slowing down your connection speed.  (this normally gets resolved via a driver update and/or router firmware update)

Those steps are the main ones I would recommend to try to improve download speeds.  Troubleshooting wireless download speeds is difficult because there are a lot of variables that effect what you can get.  

You may also want to look at changing the channel your system is using to connect to the router to try to alleviate any interference that may be slowing speeds down.   Unfortunately you don't mention with operating system or wireless card you have in that Studio 1558.   Depending on the router that you now have you may want to look into upgrading the wireless card to be able to utilize the increased speeds available.

Here is a link to the Dell Networking & Wireless Support Center.   Most of what I suggested above is also discussed in that article, along with some other things you may want to take a look at.  To better help me suggest more options to try to increase your download speed please click on my username and send me a private message with your Dell Service Tag, as well as replying to this thread with more information about your system, which operating system you're using, what wireless card you have installed, and the version of the driver that is currently installed in the system for that wireless card.

Thank you,

Todd

No Events found!