Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 31st, 2010 05:00

Two dell laptops with broadcom wireless card - slow connection & no fix worked

Hi there,

I've got two dell laptops: a studio xps with 1397 broadcom wl card and Windows 7 - 64 bit running and a xps 1530 with a broadcom 1395 running windows 7-64 and ubuntu 9.10-64.

For both I have a really slow wireless connection with windows, never faster than 40 Kbyte/s, often even slower. On the xps with ubuntu I have no problems. On this laptop, under Windows7 I found the Antenna diversity setting, I changed it to Aux but nothing changed, the connection is always really slow.

On the studio xps, I cannot even find the antenna diversity option (my computer->properties->double click dell wlan device->advanced tab, no antenna diversity option), I don't know how to solve this problem.

For both, I just updated the drivers.

My wireless access point is a d-link and I'm using a WEP encryption.

I hope someone could help me, this problem is really annoying.

BR,

Paolo

17 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 07:00

Paolo,

I have a similiar problem.  I have a new Studio 1558 with a Dell 1520 N mini card running W7.  I have two Dell other laptops in the same area running XP(Linksys PCI card) and Vista (Intel wifi board).  Both run at 54 mps while the new Studio runs at 11mps.  At best it is intermittent and may peak to 54. I have a Linksys 54G router.  The connection is very good based on the Dell LAN utility but sloooow!!

Reading some of the forum postings, there may be an incompatibillity between older routers and W7.  I have tried everything- updated drivers, switched to another channel, etc.  I have to be on top of the router for me to get 54mps.  Investing in another may be a solution but it needs to be W7 compatible.  This is an expensive experiment.  Dell support is little help-"download the drivers...." but a good experience.

gdprun

February 4th, 2010 06:00

Hello there ;)

So you suggest to buy a new router or a new wireless AP? My point is that my ISP gave me its branded modem/router with no wireless and I bought a wireless access point. I'd like to know if you have any idea about which one I should change, the router or just the AP. 

As you did, I tried almost everything, including switching between channels, downloading several drivers, changing the antenna diversity and wireless encryption and so on.

Actually, I'm totally switching to linux and I'm getting great results with the same hardware (1,7 Mbyte/s against 30Kbyte/s under W7 :S).

17 Posts

February 4th, 2010 07:00

Paolo,

I have been reading many of the "wireless, networking" issues on the forum pertaining to the Dell wireless card, W7 and routers.  There are many who cannpt connect at all. 

One resolution to a N connection issue was to change the encryption to AES.  I believe this is also sugested in the "wireless,networking.." forum-General To Dos.  What I did to make sure it wasn't the computer or the Dell 1520 card was to visit a hot spot- our local library.  I booted up and connected to their wireless.  Using the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility, the signal was great (-35db) and the connection was a solid 54 mps.  I don't know anything about their wireless system.  I believe there may be some subtle setting for the adapter that will provide a solid throughput speed of 54mps.  One thing I have noticed is that the download speed (150 kps) does not seem to be affected by the slower mps., e.g., 11 versus 36 or 54.  I am wondering if the WLAN utility is not totally accurate.

I have been looking at routers N+ and these are $100+  For every good review, there is a troubled one (CNET, Best Buy..).  Once I decide to replace the router, I am going to buy local, so I can take it back if I run into trouble.

Also keep checking the Dell downloads/ updaes.  For me, there was an update to my Studio 1558 on 2/2, just a day after I updated the drivers.  Good luck..

gdprun

February 5th, 2010 00:00

I'm pretty sure that the problem doesn't regard my laptop nor my wireless card; I suppose, as you said, that there's still a compatibility issue between my router and W7 (network protocols *are* protocols and should be a standard).

Anyway, thank you for you kind answers.

Paolo

December 19th, 2012 12:00

make sure under "wifi setting" in the router setup then get to "extension channel" and set it at the max eg #10 versus possibly a #2 setting it is on.

save - restart browser and then try for speed and distance

Advise?

No Events found!