Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 13th, 2006 15:00

Unable to access internet

Hello,

All of a sudden my laptop (Dell Latitude 820D) no longer connects to the internet, even though I can see various other computers on the local network, and access shared files / printers etc. My desktop computer, which I´m using to write this, works & connects flawless to the internet, using the same switch as the laptop. Both are using cables to connect to the switch, which also check out fine.
Tried reinstalling WinXP, then tried Ubuntu Linux, now I´m back to WinXP. No change. Networkdrivers up to date.
When doing "ipconfig /all" the information that the laptop gives me corresponds to the info from the desktop machine (except the last digitgroup in the IP address as desired). I've tried typing my ISP's DNS information manually, still neither Firefox, IE or any other web application can connect. Turned WinXP firewall on/off - no effect.
I've tried to connect to the wireless network at my university, which results in a "limited or no connectivity" warning, and a error log that states that "... not CTA compliant ...  something something" - unfortunately I can't make much use of this info, no one I know has heard of any CTA driver / protocol thingy related to networking.
Any clues to what might be the problem are welcome, or any hints to how I can troubleshoot some more (ping some address to check connectivity or whatever) - I'm out of ideas.

Best wishes

2 Intern

• 

887 Posts

October 14th, 2006 02:00

are you able to ping outside of the network? for example can you ping google?  type this in your browser 216.239.39.99 , does it take you to google?

2 Posts

October 14th, 2006 07:00

Thanks for the reply!
No, my laptop cannot reach the IP posted above, neither through the browser nor by using the "ping" function in a command prompt. My desktop can ping the site with 0% loss.

Best wishes

2 Intern

• 

887 Posts

October 14th, 2006 19:00

so it worked at one time, then did you install or uninstall any software or anitvirus program or firewall etc around the time this started happening?  are you on your own home lan or on a university?  If at your university, have you called your IT dept?  you're using a switch connected to??  your university uses cisco equipment for their wan and require some form of authentication and you need the CTA (cisco trust agent) installed as part of their security etc. 

54 Posts

May 11th, 2009 08:00

Same thing happening to me.  I have to unpllug router to get proper ipaddress  and get on net.   HACKER ??? Exploit?????

No Events found!