Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

April 5th, 2011 20:00

Unreliable network connection after clean install of XP

I have a Dimension E510 that was experiencing a variety of persistent errors, prompting me to perform a clean install of Windows XP from the original factory CD.  I also re-installed the associated drivers, from the driver CD.  Prior to the install, I had no problems with network connectivity.  I am using a DSL modem for my connection.  The network card is an integrated Intel PRO 10/100.

Now, after the clean install, establishing a network connection at start-up is unreliable at best.  Usually when I power up the PC, a connection can not be made.  I say "usually", because every once in a while a combination of modem resets and PC reboots allows me to connect normally at startup.  But that scenario only rarely works.  What works most of the time is to run the Network Diagnostics for Windows XP.  I run this from Internet Explorer when it can't establish a connection.  I included what I think is the the key piece of the diagnostics log below.  Can anyone interpret this and tell me what a root cause might be?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

IP Configuration Diagnostic

Invalid IP address

info

AutoNet address detected: 169.254.144.36

action

Automated repair: Renew IP address

action

Releasing the current IP address...

action

Successfully released the current IP address

action

Renewing the IP address...

error

Error renewing the IP address: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

info

AutoNet address detected: 169.254.144.36

action

Automated repair: Reset network connection

action

Disabling the network adapter

action

Enabling the network adapter

info

Network adapter successfully enabled

info

Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.2

I know it is not the modem, because when I hook up with my laptop, the internet connection works reliably every time, as you'd expect.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know what other information would help the diagnosis.  Thanks.

Fritts32

No Events found!