Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2009 05:00

WIFI Connection Drops When Phone Rings!

Im new to the WIFI world. I have a new Netgear WNR2000 wireless N router and an XPS M1710 laptop (running Vista Ultimate 32 bit). I have a cable modemn. My issue is with my secured wireless connection dropping when my cordless house phone rings. After that happens is is usually necessary to do a complete restart (what a pain).  Could it be caused by the handset being so close to the laptop? Im sure Im not the only one who has come across this issue. Any suggestions from the pros out there?

126 Posts

March 13th, 2009 06:00

skarbak

I will base this answer on the assuption that you are running dsl, and you have those annoying filters on each phone!

The phone wires coming into your house for your phone are the same ones going to your router/modem. This has nothing to do with your PC or router/modem.

Call your ISP and tell them the problem. What will solve the problem for good is a service technician coming to your house and installing a "home run"(Verizon term) box inside your house, where the phone line comes in. From that box, your regular phone line comes out. A second line comes out and straight to the router. Then throw away the stupid filters. There is no cost to you, and the service truck probably has 20 in there. Keep calling until they fix it. You are the customer, and you are not getting what you pay for. You can also tell them how there is noise on the phone when the internet is on, and internet speed crawls when the phone is in use.

They should install this for all DSL customers, but try to save money with the stupid filters.

6.4K Posts

March 13th, 2009 08:00

I can't say that installing a "home run" box will not help, but I do know that if you have a cordless phone you can have trouble with a wireless connection when the phone rings.  One simple thing you can try if this is your situation is to change the broadcast channel from the router.  I think channel 6 is standard; try moving it to channel 11.

14.4K Posts

March 13th, 2009 08:00

Yes indeed since most cordless phones are using the 2.4 gig band which is the same band most wireless systems use. Try jacks suggestion, or move the base away from the router, or switch to the 5 gig phones.

No Events found!