Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

April 12th, 2007 01:00

WIRELESS HELP PLEASE?

Ok, This is my second forum post. I am having issues with no resolve. I have a M1210 with vista home premium, Broadcom 440x 10/100, Intel wireless 3945abg and a linksys router. I bought my expensive computer a month ago. For the price, I expected my computer to shake my hand and know my name when i opened the box (haha). I use my computer mainly for internet related functions.
     When I use my wireless, If I download any files larger then a music file it knocks out my router completely and I have to hard reset to get my connection back. It also does this if I use google maps, or visit certain web sites.
     When I am hard wired, I usually download at approx. 30-50 kbps. Is this normal? I go faster on my boyfriend's cheap old computer in the corner.
     I really fell in live with this comp when i saw it, and spent twice as much as planned just to get the best of the best in it. Now, I just get more and more angry whenever I turn it on. I called Dell and Linksys both, with no help! Dell told me that I just can't download large files wirelessly? That doesn't sound right to me. I have had many people tell me that this is a Vista issue and give me directions to "fix" this issue, but these as far have not helped. Is my computer only good to play solitare on?. Please, anyone, help?

Message Edited by xstaci82 on 04-12-2007 07:57 PM

1.7K Posts

April 13th, 2007 14:00

There should be no problems downloading large files. Have you downloaded the latest driver?

Download the above file and save it to the desktop. Then go to add/remove programs and uninstall the intel driver for the wireless card. Reboot the system. Then once the system is back up double click on the file you downloaded and install. Then try again. If you continue to have problems please let us know and we'll keep working on it.

When I was in tech support I did have a customer with a similar problem. It turned out to be a driver update; however, if the problem continues you may just have a bad card.

22 Posts

April 13th, 2007 16:00

Gina,
    One of the many times I have spoken with Dell, the gentleman downloaded the latest driver available through Dell, with no result. I recently went to the intel web site and downloaded thier newest vista driver for my Intel 3945abg (2/25/07) and now I get much better signal (went from 3 bars to 4-5), but unfortunately I still knock out my router repeatedly on any large files.
     What speed should my computer be downloading when hardwired? We have cable, which is slower I know, but other old computers in the house go much faster.

1.7K Posts

April 13th, 2007 17:00

The speeds on the internet are based on what your provider gives you. The speed to the router is limited by what the router will provide to you. However, most these days when directly connected to the Ethernet port are 10/100 which means if your routers supports the 100 Mbps then you will have that speed to the router. As far as wireless goes the speed is typically 11.0 Mbps which is faster than most ISP services offer.

Then the router will send to the ISP and what ever speed they give you is what you have. The card is capable of downloading any size file, the download will take longer the larger the file is. How big is the file that you are trying to download? What type of a file is it? Have you tried downloading while connected via ethernet?

My next question is have you tried downloading while connected to a different router?

22 Posts

April 13th, 2007 17:00

Our internet runs a 3 mbps connection currently, which is much slower than the router is capable I believe it runs @ 54 mbps wirelessly and 100 mbps wired. But I am lucky if I can get up to 50 kbps wired or wirelessly, occasionally I will get a spike up to 70 but then it drops.
       I have tried many files, Usually it is off of limewire, consisting of music and/or movies. If I try more than one or two songs, or any movie/ video it will go momentarily but then knock out the router, doesn't matter the kind of file. If I go wired it will run but take hours to download at the speeds I am running.
       I have previously tried other routers, but I was unable to connect (only limited access) to another linksys router even though my friend next to me had perfect signal(but was running XP). I am hoping that the new driver will solve this, but have been unable to get access to the new router. I may be able to go to a public wireless location but am afraid to knock out their router.

1.7K Posts

April 13th, 2007 20:00

If you are running Vista be sure you get the Vista driver for your card. Also, in Vista make sure the card is set to full power. You may also want to check your Internet Security software. Sometimes this will block things. To test this out turn it off and see if you get a faster connection. Be very careful however, because you will be exposing your system if you leave it off for too long. If it turns out to be the Internet Security Software you should contact that vendor for assistance on configuring it so that it does not cause this problem.

28K Posts

April 13th, 2007 23:00

xstaci,

In addition to Gina's advice, If you have any 2.4 Ghz cordless phones in your vicinity, you might try changing the channel that that router uses to either channel 1 or 11 to minimize interference from such devices.

Steve

22 Posts

April 14th, 2007 00:00

I do not have a land line, but thank you for the advice!

22 Posts

It is a vista driver.

I originally had the card at full power ( with problems), then when I downloaded the new driver intel recommended changing the power setting to medium power saver when using the battery to save battery life. There was no change for the worse.

Ok, I hesitantly shut off all my security. I also am downloading a different file instead of Limewire , one that I originally was downloading when I called Dell (it is a program file for my pocket PC). Wirelessly, I started off at 1.6 MBPS and instantly dropped to 300 KBPS then the router was knocked out completely. After a hard reset I then wired my computer. Wired, I started off at almost 1 MBPS and instantly dropped down to 200 KBPS and stayed about there. I am the only computer using the router right now too, if that makes a difference. I don't see any change with the security down, so I don't see that as a problem

28K Posts

But is it possible that your neighbors have cordless phones?

Steve

22 Posts

April 14th, 2007 01:00

It may be, but fortunately the gentleman I spoke to at Dell previously changed the setting already with no results.

22 Posts

April 17th, 2007 22:00

Gina,
    Any more advice for the problem?

-Michele

1.7K Posts

April 20th, 2007 17:00

The only other advice I have is to update your linksys router. You never said what model router you have. How old is the router? What happens if you take the system to another wireless location with a different type of router can you download a large file there? I have forgotten, what OS do you have on your system? If it's Vista you should check to see if the router is Vista capable. Some routers are not.

22 Posts

April 21st, 2007 04:00

My OS is Vista Home Premium. My Linksys router is vista compatable. no updates are needed according to linksys it is 6 months old. I went to another router, but it was not vista compatable. I will have to try another router, but i don't know of any except public access. I am starting to think i spent 2500$ on a computer i can't even use for the purpose i bought it for. I am in school and wanted the ease of wireless access, but have to hardwire to download files, and it still goes slow. I disconnect wirelessly even when i go to certain web sites, even when i try to use google maps!

1.7K Posts

April 27th, 2007 03:00

Have you tried using the Windows wireless client instead of the Intel pro set?

22 Posts

April 27th, 2007 12:00

I have given up. Apparently everything that is wrong is someone else's problem, but no one can tell me what the problem is. I will just enjoy my 2500$ game of solitaire, and learn a lesson the hard way.
No Events found!