Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2005 13:00

WRT54G and WUSB54G connection issues - SSID cannot be disabled - Linksys says this is OK!!!

Hello all - I appreciate any and all feedback.  A quick background and then I'll post the problems.  I know my way around a computer pretty well.  I have a main desktop PC (not a DELL) that has the WRT54G router hooked to it.
It is a:
P4 2.8mHz w/ HT 800mHz FSB
1GB corsair PC3200 RAM
Dual 120GB HD's in RAID 0
Raedon 9600 ATI Saphire w/ 256MB RAM
Plextor 8X+/4X- DVD burner (708A)
Lite-on 16X DVD Drive
Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
KDS 17" X-Treme Flat CRT
Antec Server Case

The DELL computer - less than a week old - is a Dimension 4700 that has the WUSB54G wireless USB adapter hooked to it.
It is a:
P4 2.8mHz w/ HT 800 mHz FSB
512MB DDR RAM
80GB SATA HD
48X CD-Burner
onboard video
onboard audio
standard keyboard & mouse
17" E173FP Flat Panel Monitor

Okay - with the formalities out of the way - here are my problems:

I purchased both the WRT54G and the WUSB54G a couple of days ago from DELL and proceeded to hook the both up.  I previously had the main desktop hooked up to a BEFSR41 wired router and had no issues and was pretty familiar with the "workings" of the router.  I hooked up the WRT54G to the main computer after un-hooking the BEFSR41 and proceeded to set it up.  Changed the default address, enabled the security features (WAP) and enabled MAC filtering and put it the MAC address of the DELL computer that was going to get the USB adapter and DISABLED the SSID.  The main desktop (wired) works fine, connects to the internet, shows stealth at Shields Up.  Life is good....

Now the fun begins!!!!!  I cannot connect to the DELL with the WUSB54G unless I broadcast the SSID.  I was on the phone with LINKSYS for over two-hours, transfered twice changed many settings and as long as the SSID was set to not broadcast - no wireless connection.  Finally at the end of our two hour marathon he spoke with his team leader and came back and said that Microsoft and Linksys have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to diasble SSID and maintain a connection with the WUSB54G and a wireless adapter!

I had a Microsoft security wireless article that explicitly stated to disable SSID -

Any help would be great - it's seems to connect fine with SSID although I did lose connection after about 3 hours of being hooked up and had trouble getting it back.  It was odd - I was in a chat session with a Linksys tech at the time - how ironic.

When I have a signal it ranges from 82% to 100% - I'm actually only about 30 feet in direct view of the router.

Another odd thing - when installing the USB adapter - I recieved a message stating that the driver had not passed XP logo testing and it was strongly advised to not install the driver - tech support said to install it.  Not sure -

Thanks all - I look forward to drawing on your advanced knowledge...

orion6192

7.9K Posts

March 14th, 2005 20:00

keep SSID enabled, it enhanced performance and is in-spec.  disabling it offers almost no security against someone who wants to break in (although it might keep the neighbors out if you don't have other, real security features enabled).

19 Posts

March 14th, 2005 21:00

I was under the impression that you should always disable the SSID just because of nosey neighbors and drive by people.  But... I do have WAP enabled with an 18 letter/number security key.  What is the feeling of PCI vs. USB for 54G adapter?  I can use either one - just debating on which one is more stable and yields a better connection.

Thanks all.

orion6192

7.9K Posts

March 14th, 2005 22:00

if anyone has the time to break WPA (you said WAP so I assume you mean WPA and not WEP), then they can easily find out your SSID even if it's disabled.  Generally speaking, keys of at least 20 digits or longer are recommened so that dictionary based attacks cannot be run -- keys made from random, upper, lower, and numbers are of course better.  Thus, if disabling SSID  causes you any problems at all, keep it turned on.  Plus, there are a lot of articles that show that even if you connect, disabling SSID severly hurts wireless speed and performance.

As for USB vs PCI, PCI tends to be stabler.  USB is of course easier to change between machines and to install though.  I would recommend PCI, but it may varry based on your specific needs

19 Posts

orion6192 wrote:
Hello all - I appreciate any and all feedback. A quick background and then I'll post the problems. I know my way around a computer pretty well. I have a main desktop PC (not a DELL) that has the WRT54G router hooked to it.
It is a: P4 2.8mHz w/ HT 800mHz FSB
1GB corsair PC3200 RAM
Dual 120GB HD's in RAID 0
Raedon 9600 ATI Saphire w/ 256MB RAM
Plextor 8X+/4X- DVD burner (708A)
Lite-on 16X DVD Drive
Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
KDS 17" X-Treme Flat CRT
Antec Server Case
The DELL computer - less than a week old - is a Dimension 4700 that has the WUSB54G wireless USB adapter hooked to it.
It is a:
P4 2.8mHz w/ HT 800 mHz FSB
512MB DDR RAM
80GB SATA HD
48X CD-Burner
onboard video
onboard audio
standard keyboard & mouse
17" E173FP Flat Panel Monitor
Okay - with the formalities out of the way - here are my problems:
I purchased both the WRT54G and the WUSB54G a couple of days ago from DELL and proceeded to hook the both up. I previously had the main desktop hooked up to a BEFSR41 wired router and had no issues and was pretty familiar with the "workings" of the router. I hooked up the WRT54G to the main computer after un-hooking the BEFSR41 and proceeded to set it up. Changed the default address, enabled the security features (WAP) and enabled MAC filtering and put it the MAC address of the DELL computer that was going to get the USB adapter and DISABLED the SSID. The main desktop (wired) works fine, connects to the internet, shows stealth at Shields Up. Life is good....
Now the fun begins!!!!! I cannot connect to the DELL with the WUSB54G unless I broadcast the SSID. I was on the phone with LINKSYS for over two-hours, transfered twice changed many settings and as long as the SSID was set to not broadcast - no wireless connection. Finally at the end of our two hour marathon he spoke with his team leader and came back and said that Microsoft and Linksys have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to diasble SSID and maintain a connection with the WUSB54G and a wireless adapter!
I had a Microsoft security wireless article that explicitly stated to disable SSID -
Any help would be great - it's seems to connect fine with SSID although I did lose connection after about 3 hours of being hooked up and had trouble getting it back. It was odd - I was in a chat session with a Linksys tech at the time - how ironic.
When I have a signal it ranges from 82% to 100% - I'm actually only about 30 feet in direct view of the router.
Another odd thing - when installing the USB adapter - I recieved a message stating that the driver had not passed XP logo testing and it was strongly advised to not install the driver - tech support said to install it. Not sure -
Thanks all - I look forward to drawing on your advanced knowledge...
orion6192

I'm starting to agree with you on the SSID from what I've been reading. And yes - I meant WPA - sorry!! I grabbed a WMP54G PCI wireless G Linksys card tonight from Wal-Mart (it's a version 4 like the router) and the connection rate is amazingly different. I ranged from 24mbps to 54mbps on the USB and I'm constant 54mbps on the PCI. I can stream a DVD movie that is on my Western Digital 250GB external drive over my home network and it doesn't even glitch. But... as soon as I disable SSID - there is no more connection point. Odd... I guess it's not the end of the world. I was going by what I read and I spoke to my company's IT tech and he advised enabling it. What are ya going to do...? Could it be the version of the router has something to do with it? My IT tech said he has used the WRT54G and WMP54G and has been able to pretty easily disbale the SSID, hence the trip to Wal-Mart!!!. Thanks again...

7.9K Posts

if you do have neighbors with wireless it's probably actually better if you all broadcast SSID -- then you can use a basic windows app like netstumber to see what channel everyone is on and pick something different

19 Posts

March 15th, 2005 01:00

I will check for the netstumbler - thanks. I have a 2.4gHz cordless phone and when I use it it will disconnect my wireless connection to my PC. I changed router address and it worked until the phone changed channels. Any suggestions?

19 Posts

March 15th, 2005 12:00

One other thing I stumbled across - I see alot people saying Windows XP Wireless Configuration Utility is the main issue with disabling the SSID.  I also noted the TKIP and AES security - which is better - many say they have stepped up to the AES (if their routers support it).

7.9K Posts

March 15th, 2005 15:00

yes, AES is better but all but the newest equipment doesn't have the hardware to handle it -- equipment supporting AES should be upgradable to the final 802.11i with firmware upgrades

695 Posts

March 15th, 2005 15:00

@orion6192 wrote:
I will check for the netstumbler - thanks. I have a 2.4gHz cordless phone and when I use it it will disconnect my wireless connection to my PC. I changed router address and it worked until the phone changed channels. Any suggestions?

Though I never had any problems with 8092.11b and 2.4ghz phone, when mine died I changed to the 900mhz type. If you can, you should probably do that.

Some phones can be set to use a particular channel. I'd check the phone manual.

7.9K Posts

March 15th, 2005 18:00

i can just offer general advice:  make sure drivers and firmware are the most recent.  try changing the channel to 1 or 11 ... if that fails, try 6.

19 Posts

hey... it's me again.  I found out that this morning when my son was play on the computer before daycare (he's 4) it disconnected twice.  It goes from 54mbps to disconnect then about 6 seconds later it reconnects.  No phone calls were made or received during this time.  Suggestions?  The threshold settings as well as others are still the default numbers.

19 Posts

Both my WRT54G router and my WMP54G PCI wireless card both support AEP.  The router is running 3.0.6 firmware.  Is there anything else that I would need to do?  I'm going to try it tonight - I will post issues.  I would appreciate any comments in-between!!!  thanks.

19 Posts

March 16th, 2005 13:00

ANy other suggestions from anyone? Everthing is up to date but it seems like once every hour to hour and a half I will connection and it will disconnect and reconnect. I from 54 to disconnect. My router and card are in direct view of one another - no obstructions. I have enabled the WPA-PSA with AES. Any thoughts? Here is my event viewer from last night when I let the computer run overnight. I got off the computer at 11:15 pm:
Information 3/16/2005 9:51:51 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 8:48:49 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 7:24:47 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 6:21:45 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 5:18:43 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 3:54:41 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 2:51:39 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 1:27:37 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/16/2005 12:24:35 AM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
Information 3/15/2005 9:57:33 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A
No Events found!