Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2004 23:00

WRT54G and email

Since I installed a Linksys WRT54G I'm having problems receiving email from certain servers.  I've tried setting the MTU (pings indicate that it should work well at the default 1500, but I've tried other values as well), updating the firmware, and forwarding port 110 (pop3).  None of these changes affect the email problem, and I am sometimes able to receive one or two emails even from the problem servers. 

Any ideas?

Lynn 

12K Posts

You should not have to do any port forwarding to receive e-mail, unless you are running an interanl Excahnge Server for e-mail.

The router recognized that a packet request has been sent from an internal machine and when that packet returns, it allows it thru, thus the process of Network Address Translation.

I would almost suggest a hard reset of the router to the defaults and see if that resolves your problems.  Have you tried connecting directly to your modem and see if e-mail comes thru correctly?

22 Posts

I just went back and plugged directly into my modem and the problem still exists, so I guess I can eliminate the router.  I didn't think I needed to forward any ports, but that was suggested by Linksys tech support.

Any other ideas?

Lynn

12K Posts

April 20th, 2004 11:00

This would seem to indicate that you do not have the proper name of the mail servers entered in the setup,  Double check those and are you running a POP3 service or some web based service like Mailblocks?

22 Posts

April 20th, 2004 15:00

I've recheced the setup and it is correct.  It passes the Outlook "test account" send/receive, and if there is only one or two emails waiting I can normally download without problems.  When there is a substantial amount to download it slows to a crawl (something like two bytes per second indicated) and eventually times out.

12K Posts

April 20th, 2004 16:00

22 Posts

April 20th, 2004 17:00

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried turning off virus scanning but it did not fix the problem.  I also tried turning off the spam filter, but that also had no effect.

12K Posts

April 20th, 2004 19:00

The only other thing I oculd suggest would be calling your ISP and ask them to ping your address to see if they see something.  Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
No Events found!