Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2009 06:00

Wake on Lan Studio 540

Has anybody been able to use wake on lan on a Studio 540? It uses a Realtek PCIe GBE family controller (I believe it's a RTL8168C).

Using Windows 7 ultimate.

Thanks!

Gilson

3 Posts

November 19th, 2009 11:00

Hi Gilson,

did you find a solution for your problem?

I got WOL working, but only under special circumstances:

Activated Remote Wake up in BIOS and activated WOL in the driver settings of the NIC in Windows. When I shutdown my computer,

then I can not wake up my computer via LAN.

But when I then start my computer and power it off on the boot loader menu, then I can wake up my computer via LAN.

So for me WOL does not really work. Neither if I activate it in MS-WIndoze nor when I activate it in Linux. (only with the workaround described above. But

that solution is useless like a heated can-opener ...)

thanks

m

20 Posts

May 8th, 2014 07:00

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue.  Cannot get WOL to work on my Studio 540 running Win7Home despite having the correct options selected in BIOS and in the network adapter.  Seems like a BIOS bug to me. 

I wonder if WOL would work if I installed a dedicated PCIe network card.

3 Posts

May 8th, 2014 13:00

yeah, found a post in a german Arch Linux forum about WOL and Studio540 (https://bbs.archlinux.de/viewtopic.php?id=15482).

And as I wrote this post I tested if UDP and layer2 are working. But seems that Studio540 only understands UDP WOL packets.

So I think you need a software that sends UDP WOL packets.

If you send the WOL packets from a Windows host seems like this WOL tool (http://sourceforge.net/projects/aquilawol/) sends UDP packets.

So try this:

- configure your NIC driver to listen on Magic Packet

- hibernate your PC

- try to wake it up with a WOL software that sends UDP packets

3 Posts

May 8th, 2014 13:00

don't know if it would work with a PCI NIC.

Currently I only use Linux on my Studio 540.

There WOL works. But only when I hibernate (suspend to disk) my computer.

If I shut it down then it doesn't work.

Maybe in Win7 it works the same...

And there are at least 2 possibilites to send a WOL packets.

One is UDP (afaik) and the other is layer2.

Don't know currently if my Studio540 would work with both of them. But I could test when I get chance...

20 Posts

May 10th, 2014 17:00

I don't have a hibernate option in Windows 7.

But in any case, I need it to work after executing a full shutdown, not just hibernate.

The WOL programs I use do send UDP packets, and using Wireshark, I can confirm that these packets are reaching the Studio 540.  It's just that it doesn't react to them. 

By the way, I also bought a separate NIC that I installed in the PCIe slot.  Unfortunately, WOL doesn't work on it either.

No Events found!