Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2004 22:00

What is the difference (if any) between AUX and MAIN antennas on the Truemobile cards in systems with 2 antennas ?

In other words - does it matter which antenna in a C400 or C640 etc (with 2 built-in antennas) is hooked up to which port on the 1150 or 1300 cards ? THe manuals NEVER specificy any differences, and while the cables are colour-coded in the C400, they are both black in the C640.

If you connect both, and the drivers is using both (diversity), is there a difference between them at all ? One cable / antenna any better than the other ?

Thanks,

Dan

2.6K Posts

Antenna diversity is always nice, but if you can't hook them both up, use the MAIN one.

30 Posts

Matt,

thanks. If I CAN hook both up though - is there a difference ? I.e. do I have to be worried about which cable should go to which hook-up (aux or main) if used in a Latitude WITH 2 antennas ? C400 and C640 specifically ?

thx

d

7.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2004 22:00

On notebooks with two antenna leads (one white and one black) it has been posted by another user one is for 2.4ghz and one for 5 ghz, but I forget which is which.  If only one antenna lead, then hook to the MAIN as has been atated and disable antenna diversity in the driver Advanced tab area.

30 Posts

March 3rd, 2004 00:00

Interesting! The plot thickens - I have opened a 3 or 4 CP400 and CP640 now (all with 1150 cards 'only') - they all have 2 antenna leads and all had both connected to the 1150, even though it's only a 'b' card....

It SEEMS also, that most of the time, the black lead was 'main', but on one 640 it was the other way around - and ALL came like that from Dell.... ?!!!

Dan

7.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2004 02:00

It is highly probably the colors on those notebooks is for MAIN and AUX.  IIRC, the TM 1400 dual-band card wasn't out when the 4150 was sold.

30 Posts

March 4th, 2004 01:00

hm - so on these laptops (as you say, no 'a' out at the time) the two leads are the same ?

It certainly seems on the C400 if nothing else, they are identical, just one on each side (underneath the panel with the HD lights and the on/off button) ....

d

2 Posts

July 10th, 2023 23:00

I know this post is old but hopefully this helps someone if they stumble across this in this time and date.  So when cleaning my pc and doing some maintenance I accidentally broke my WLAN card connector and the contact it connects to on the AUX side.  Luckily I had a spare WLAN card that was of equal type and connection.  Anyways I just tested for myself just now what each cable or (antenna) do by running the PC with none plugged, running it with just main plugged in and running it with just AUX plugged in.  For my PC Alienware R13, when I had neither AUX or MAIN connected my wifi worked but my bluetooth would not connect to anything it would read them but not connect. Wifi had full signal because my router is right next to my PC. When I had just AUX disconnected my bluetooth would not connect to anything, wifi was normal.  Then when I had MAIN disconnected both my bluetooth and wifi worked but I imagine if you have your router far from your pc this is where you would see bad wifi signal if any.  So conclusion:

MAIN = Wifi antenna

AUX - Bluetooth antenna 

Both cables (antenna) are the same as far as I know, although some manufacturers may color them different. Please if I am wrong with the cables being different let me know. 

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 30th, 2024 11:42

Generally I try to match up the antennas although it does not usually make a difference.

Example for me:

My Intel AX211 (Factory Card) has the White as MAIN and the Black as AUX

My Intel BE200 has the Black as MAIN and the White as AUX

So for continuity I plugged the White lead on the Black MAIN on the Intel BE200 card and the Black lead on the AUX of the card.

This way if there "is" any difference then I have that covered.

You're correct though, generally non Bluetooth cards I have had in the past have only 1x Antenna connection which is MAIN but technology has moved on since then.

No Events found!