Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2007 23:00

What's with Dell and MAC Address Cloning on Broadcom network adapters?

The cable broadband connections and modems from my local cable provider are locked to the MAC Address of the network adapter of the computer connected to it, so whenever another computer needs to connect to the same connection, I clone the MAC Address of the original computer to the new computer.  That way, the connection thinks it's the same computer and it's fast and painless - I wouldn't have to reset the cable connection every single time I change connection from one computer to another.

But whenever I need to connect to such a connection (say troubleshooting at a friend's house), I cannot take my Dell notebooks to "show off" without modifications.  Why?  Dell has removed from their Broadcom network adapter drivers the ability to clone MAC Address on every new Dell notebook I come across, and I cannot clone any MAC Address to these notebooks network adapters, and I'm forced to spend time searching for a generic Broadcom driver elsewhere in order to add back the MAC Address function. 

I have posted question here in the past on how to clone the MAC Address without this function in the driver but no one seemed to have an answer, so what is Dell's rationale for removing this ability on their own Broadcom network adapter drivers?

7.9K Posts

October 6th, 2007 17:00

just wondering but wireless or wired?  If wired, dells drivers are usually so far behind I'm not sure why you'd even consider them.

if wireless, I'm pretty sure I've seen it there...

2.5K Posts

October 6th, 2007 23:00

Yes, it's wired - it's a direct cable connection to a cable modem.

However, being far behind in version is one thing, but removing from the driver INF the ability to clone MAC Address  is another.

7.9K Posts

October 7th, 2007 01:00

just for the sake of argument, is it possible that the feature wasn't available on the older broadcom drivers?  What is the actual date on the dell OEM driver you're using?

The only "recent" machine I'm in contact with that has a broadcom card is an optiplex 620.  I note that the dell drivers are still on the 8 series from 2005 (where as the current is from 2007 and at 10.x).

2.5K Posts

October 7th, 2007 23:00

I don't compare by driver date, but by driver version, which I find to be a more accurate comparison.  The Broadcom driver factory installed on my 1420 was version 10.10.  The current version released by is 10.39.  I've left my 6000 at work so I can't confirm the respective Dell and generic Broadcom driver versions just yet.

I found your assumption on older drivers not supporting the function intriguing so I went and checked adapters on other Dell computers that still carried the Dell version network adapter driver and found that this issue was not limited to Dell OEM Broadcom drivers - the Dell OEM 8.x driver for the onboard Intel network adapter on my 5150 also has this function removed but the same version 8 generic driver from Intel has the function intact.

Message Edited by esquire on 10-08-2007 08:28 AM

7.9K Posts

October 7th, 2007 23:00

go figure ... i have no idea why they're doing it then

2.5K Posts

October 9th, 2007 04:00

Which is why I'm starting this discussion :smileysad:

Just to be sure that this lack of feature may be attributable to Dell and not to the generic reference driver that Dell uses and modifies, I also checked against a few new Samsung notebooks at work today which use the same Broadcom driver and they all have the option to clone MAC Address in their driver's Advanced Properties tab.

No Events found!