Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2006 21:00

Where did my strength indicator go?

I've got a Latitidue x300. One day, for no reason I can tell, I stopped seeing the little display in my status bar that indicated the signal strength (and I believe had the ability to right-click and enable/disable).

I still have the Windows XP Wireless Network icon - it's the computer with the radiating green lines that is either filled in blue (data transmitting) or empty (no transmission).

But what is gone is the multi-bars (think of the cell phone signal strength indicator like Cingular/AT&T Wireless use) display; a piece of Dell software, I believe.

Network Card
Adapters Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card - Packet Scheduler Miniport

I'm sure there's not enough info in this message; but I'm happy to check into whatever and offer more info. Thanks so much. Everything works fine, but it's a bit of functionality and info that I've lost and would like to get back!

774 Posts

April 14th, 2006 00:00

did u do a service pack 2 or a microsoft update reciently. if so it takes that away. put down by the task bar the little computer screen that flashes. when u hover over it with the mouse it will tell u how fast u r connected.

3 Posts

April 14th, 2006 15:00

SP2 was a long long time ago. I don't know what the most recent M$FT updates were - I hadn't heard it would make Dell software stop working. Maybe Dell should patch their software so it works again :)

There are workarounds; it's not a terrible problem, but it's frustrating when you've got something how you want it and it just stops on you. I don't like that and always try to get it back where I had it.

3 Posts

April 14th, 2006 16:00

Hmm. I just downloaded an updated driver/utility from Dell
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R115321&SystemID=LAT_PNT_P4_X300&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=6482&devlib=0&typecnt=2&vercnt=20&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=152055

Network: Dell _Wireless (US) WLAN Card, TrueMobile 1300 MPCI Card , TrueMobile 1300 PCMCIA, TrueMobile 1400 WLAN, Wireless 1350 WLAN MiniPCI Card, Wireless 1350 WLAN PC Card, Wireless 1370 WLAN MiniPCI Card, Wireless 1390 WLAN ExpressCard, Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard, Wireless 1450 WLAN miniPCI Card, Wireless 1470 Dual-Band WLAN miniPCI Card, Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN MiniCard, Driver, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Multi Language, Multi System, v.4.10.40.0 / 4.10.47.3 , A09

Released 4/12 - the day before I posted my inquiry????????

Anyway, the thing is back, just like I wanted it.

774 Posts

April 14th, 2006 20:00

glad its working the way u wanted. I know what u mean and how u feel when something working the way u want changes all of a sudden.
No Events found!