Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2006 10:00

Why does my Intel 3945abg wireless card work w/ my neighbor's 802.11g and not w/ my 802.11b?

I just received a brand-new Dell Inspiron 6400 with the Intel 3945abg wireless card and it can't connect to my 802.11b network.  It can't connect, because it doesn't receive an IP address from my wireless router.  (No WEP or WPA enabled.)  When I put in a manual IP address that the router should understand, I get a connected message, but I still can't get to a webpage.  I've powercycled and I'm using the AC adapter.  It's not a winsocket thing, because I don't get the winsocket error messages and this computer is brand new.  I've also put the control of the wireless adapter to Windows with no luck.  The only thing I can do right now is connect to my neighbors' 802.11g network.  Please help.  Thanks in advance. 

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2006 12:00

I already did that.  Thanks anyway.

Message Edited by damon_Z on 06-03-200608:22 AM

14.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2006 12:00

just guessing here but look in device manager under the properties of your wireless card>advanced and make sure that your wireless mode is set to use the default value i.e. g and b and not just g.

7 Posts

June 3rd, 2006 16:00

A couple of ideas...do you have MAC address security set on your router? If so, go into your router settings and add the MAC of your 3945. Another thing to try would be to manually enter the SSID of your network and try and "force" the connection.  Just some thoughts...good luck!

4 Posts

I did the manual setting thing already.  That established an excellent connection that would drop off ever few seconds.  I couldn't even open a web page with that.  I'll see if I can do the MAC thing.  Thanks for the info.

7 Posts

If you were able to connect then I doubt you have MAC security set as it wouldn't have connected at all. Not really sure what else you could try.....sorry.

4 Posts

June 4th, 2006 05:00

UPDATE:

I spoke to somebody at the wireless department at Dell over the phone.  I was on hold for nearly 15 minutes before I finally got to talk to somebody, but I was helped out greatly.  To make the long story short, the problem ended up being the router.  It's an old router bought in the summer of 2004 and the Intel 3945 Mini card just happened to be too new for it.  I downloaded the firmware, but stil couldn't get on a webpage.  So, I just went to Circuit City and bought an 802.11g wireless router that can also work with the 802.11b connections.  The rest was history.  Hopefully, somebody that's having the same problem does a search and sees this post.

14.4K Posts

June 4th, 2006 11:00

thanks for the informative update.
No Events found!