Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2012 13:00

Wifi signal seems to be working at Safe Mode (XPS15 L521X)

Hello there,

I've been following this thread for a certain time since I planned to buy this L521X.
Since I received this amazing laptop I started testing the WiFi signal.

When I'm next to the router antennas the signal is not perfect, but is enough. I mean, even if I'm close to the router, the signal is UNSTABLE. If I walk some meters away, it drops significantly down.
When I walk to my room (router is downstairs, room is upstairs, besides of several concrete walls throught the antennas) the signal  just drops.

Until few minutes ago, I haven't seen any good results, after trying several changes on my laptop and router.

Though, NOW, I've read somewhere to test the signal with Safe Mode.

Now I'm here in my room writing this post and testing the signal downloading anything to understand that there is no need to replace anything on the L521X but the drivers or something about the software.

I'm surprised too, and happy because this proves that there's a software fix.

The signal is maximum ~54Mbps and drops to ~2Mbps, but even at the worst signal, I can still see videos con youtube.
I even got a ~100Mbps moving the laptop to different directions in my room.

I attached some pictures to show how was the signal working.

Somethings else: I can't reach 300Mbps with safe mode when I'm near the router and I don't have McAfee Antivirus (removed for my petition).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 25th, 2012 16:00

UmbertoD,

Download and install the latest drivers. Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 drivers

I used these tweaks...

Intel ~ Recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

I went to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

33 Posts

September 25th, 2012 17:00

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your answer, but I've already made what you said.

Still no improvements regarding distance conectivity.

When I set up the router config to use only 802.11n improves the Mbps capacity, not the distance issue.

I've already installed all the latest drivers provided by Dell. The Intel Centrino 6235's drivers version I've is 15.3.0.16.

Thanks!

33 Posts

September 25th, 2012 18:00

I think a Premium Laptop shouldn't need to be tilting to get good wifi signal. What I am showing right here is that there is a SOFTWARE ISSUE to connect the wifi, because when I'm running Win7 normally it doesn't work when I'm 4m away.

But, when I run Win7 Safe Mode I can connect to the WiFi as it should.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

UmbertoD,

With you getting decent results in the safe mode, I may be wrong. I was thinking the antenna may be an issue.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

UmbertoD,

I suspect distance may be an issue. Try tilting the laptop on the left side and see if the signal increases. I think the antenna is in the hinge area and covered with the shiny metal.

Rick

33 Posts

That's right, after I made several changes I wondered how would it work if I run Safe Mode, which allows the OS to connect properly to the wifi.

I hope to get this fixed asap, the last thing to do would be restauring to fabric, but it's recommended to keep up to date the OS.

Thanks for your atention Rick.

15 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 06:00

i assume you mean Safe Mode With Networking as Safe Mode by itself doesn't enable wi-fi functionality on my pc without additional work.  Nevertheless, Safe Mode With Networking DIDN'T improve wi-fi connectivity or downloading speed on my Win 7 xps15 laptop Bios 13 which has had the Intel 6235 wifi card replaced with dell 1901 and the lcd w/antenna replaced in december in USA, not Austrailia just to clarify.  Still would like a fix from Dell as everything else about the pc seems to be ok now that i upgraded every driver i could find that was out of date which seems to resolve the almost daily blue screen of death fatal exceptions that would occur when my wife had many windows open in combination with citrix s/w for access to servers at work usually while using IE 9. Very hard (if not impossible) to find a laptop of any brand with 512 SSD, 16 gb RAM, full HD (1920x1080) display, internal dvd running win 7.

No Events found!