Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2009 09:00

Windows7 Upgrade Kit

I am trying to upgrade my inspiron 1545 to Win 7 using the upgrade discs as supplied by Dell.  When I bought the laptop I did so on the understanding that it was ready to upgrade to Win t, from Vista.  However when I try to install Win7, it is telling me that the 1397 wireless card is not compatible, and that I should remove it!  If I do that I cannot connect to the net.   I have tried several times to contact Dell, but whithout success..,    Has anyone had this problem, and more to the point does anyone know of a fix???

5 Posts

December 15th, 2009 13:00

Not sure, but Dell's Support site has a Windows 7 driver for the Wireless WLAN 1397 Half MiniCard (4312bb) dated 11/17/2009.  My guess is Windows 7 came out before the driver was compiled and therefore it doesn't recognize the card as being on the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List). 

For Windows 7 64-bit

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=5&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRON1545&hidos=W732&hidlang=EN&TabIndex=

For Windows 7 32-bit

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W732&catid=5&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRON1545&hidos=W764&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

-DaveB!

3 Posts

December 16th, 2009 05:00

Thanks DaveB for your reply, much appreciated.

I took a chance the other night and removed the 1397 card, and thus installed windows7, and lo and behold, when I completed the installation, I connected up to the internet, via my wireless router with no problems at all!!!!

I assume that there are drivers in the upgrade that do the job!

So if anyone else has this problem take heed.

Brian

4.6K Posts

December 16th, 2009 07:00

I assume that there are drivers in the upgrade that do the job!

Windows 7 has a far more extensive and up-to-date drive base than Vista had/has Brian, and is subsequently able to recognise and install drivers for a much wider variety of hardware by default :emotion-5:

No Events found!