Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 2nd, 2009 17:00

Wireless Connection Dropped: "Authentication process to connect to the network has not been started."

I've got a Dell Inspiron E1705, Windows XP, and an Intel PRO/WIreless 3945ABG network adapter.  Today, completely out of the blue, my wireless network was dropped and will not re-connect.  This was truly out of the blue, I hadn't made any updates or changed anything on my computer, but was simply just disconnected.  I can see that the network (and other networks) is available, and I am able to connect to it from other computers/devices, but when I attempt to reconnect on my Dell it fails.  The only message I receive is "Authentication process to connect to the network has not been started."  I've tried a system restore to a month back, and that did not work.  I tried uninstalling the Intel PROSet software, updating the drivers, and everything else I could think of and nothing has worked.  I called Intel and they said they could not help and that this was Dell's territory.  Unfortunately, I can't call Dell without being charged.  Does anyone have any idea what could have happened and what I need to do to repair my connection?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 2nd, 2009 17:00

You should say what your are connecting to--a router or a wireless modem. If it's a router, try a complete network reset by unplugging the power cords on both the router and modem and turning off the computer. Turn on the modem first and wait 2 minutes, plug in the router and wait again, then turn on the computer. If that doesn't work, check the router's homebase page to make sure the wireless settings are correct. Recheck the Network Connections settings in Control Panel.

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2009 20:00

I'm connecting to a Netgear router.  It is broadcasting just fine, as I mentioned before, I am able to access the network on other computers and on other devices, but cannot access it on my Dell.  It shows up on the list of available networks along with others, and I simply am unable to access any of them through this computer.  I tried everything suggested above and nothing worked, and the everything on the router's page is correct.  It seems to be a problem with just my computer, not the wireless network.

1 Message

June 12th, 2012 01:00

After repairing various times, I found I had to disable the intel wireless connection software and use the standard windows xp one.

There was a menu up the top that let me select 'use windows wireless connection' (sorry, going from memory)

Use the windows wireless icon to select your wireless network, click connect, type password, click ok. Worked ok.

No Events found!